Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are just looking for trouble hunting the strips without permission. If the land owner maintains it, you are just gonna piss him off. Most property lines go to the center of the road/street, but the local road department has a right of way that varies sometimes as much as 60 ft or more from center line. That doesn't mean anyone can dig anywhere in that right of way.

Just clean yourself up, knock on some doors, and eventually you will get permission. Once you can relax, and spend some time looking, other land owners/ neighbors will approach you to see what you are finding. Be polite, and more opportunities will open up.

Good luck.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's city property the land owner can't say anything.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This strip is not ordinarily a right-of-way or easement.

In a platted area, it's city property. Bear in mind that the homeowner may be totally unaware of that, and that he mows it and keeps the weeds off of it. Myself, even knowing this, I don't detect it without permission. Even though I can legally trespass in my profession when working, I ask when I practically can. It just makes sense - and friends.

In less common areas (mostly outskirts or rural areas), it can be owned by the property owner.

Then they own it to the middle of the road (or less often to another line, like a section line or prior ownership). You can't detect there then. Just because the public has a right to travel it, does not give you a right to detect it, or pick asparagus for that matter.

Hope this clears this up some.

Disclaimer: This is not legal or boundary advice; always seek site specific advice from qualified professionals.

Here it is again.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried many approaches to this situation and found that if you ask permission from the land owner behind the city owned parking strip, you're more than likely going to get a "No" reply. If you just hunt it, most owners won't care or confront you. Just smile and be friendly and you're not going to cause WW3. If confronted, I explain that I'm trying to find a friend's lost ring and maybe the landowner has seen it? Most people like to help find treasure! I usually offer to help the land owner find anything they may have lost too. A little friendly conversation can go a long way.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I do these strip I make sure I wear my head phone and keep my back to the houses. Easier to ignore prople

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark said:
I've tried many approaches to this situation and found that if you ask permission from the land owner behind the city owned parking strip, you're more than likely going to get a "No" reply. If you just hunt it, most owners won't care or confront you. Just smile and be friendly and you're not going to cause WW3. If confronted, I explain that I'm trying to find a friend's lost ring and maybe the landowner has seen it? Most people like to help find treasure! I usually offer to help the land owner find anything they may have lost too. A little friendly conversation can go a long way.

So you lie about it?

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard hat from a local utility company that I wear....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

....... if you ask permission from the land owner behind the city owned parking strip, you're more than likely going to get a "No" reply. If you just hunt it, most owners won't care or confront you ...........

Or could you summarize that by saying: "sometimes no one cares, ..... until you ask" ?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you lie about it?

Is your name silver snacher? What? It's not SilverSnacher on your birth certificate? Why are you lying to the folks on the message board?

Feeding someone a line about why you are metal detecting is practically part of it. He IS looking for a friends ring. i AM looking for my lost silver coin. Grow a pair.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
Is your name silver snacher? What? It's not SilverSnacher on your birth certificate? Why are you lying to the folks on the message board?

Feeding someone a line about why you are metal detecting is practically part of it. He IS looking for a friends ring. i AM looking for my lost silver coin. Grow a pair.

Dude chill out silver snatcher is a USERNAME is it not? Also I don't think growing vegetables have anything to do with this topic, also why a pair of veggies?

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does growing veggies in pairs better than just one? What do they get lonely?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Was wondering how you guys do sidewalk grassy strips do you ask permission or just detect it because it's not really the house owners land. Do you ask the city or home owner or just do it or wait for it to be torn out for construction?

Wow, of all the wonderful things to be wondering about. LMAO Just do it and get it over with. You'll have yer fill of it quick. Just do it and good luck, you never know. Just get out there and do it. Nobody here can give you any good advice about such a silly thing. Just get busy. Post your finds. No, dont bother.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or could you summarize that by saying: "sometimes no one cares, ..... until you ask" ?
I would summerize that MOST of the time no one cares......until you ask. And as far a telling a lie about why you're hunting in front of their house, sure, why not? It's not a lie that hurts anyone. It just makes you look a little better in their eyes that you're trying to help someone else recover lost property instead of being a "greedy treasure hunter" that will destroy anything to get what you want.......which unfortunately is what some of them think.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless who owns the grassy strip, the city or the land owner, if the owner thinks your messing up his property and starts beating their chest it is best to move on quickly before they git a gun.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose a lot has to do with the area where you’re hunting. Where I’m at, those grass strips are well cared for and can be within ten feet of someone’s front door. I wouldn't hunt them without asking first.

Tealiish

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2017
Lakeland/Tampa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II w/ Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone.

My town has a "historic" downtown area with tons houses built around
the turn of the century and I am just dying to get out there and hunt.

I figure I would avoid the well manicured strips and ask permission for the
ones that look less maintained.

Went out yesterday to a church area and empty parking lot for a church built
around 1912. Didn't have permission dug one small hole and just felt the stare
and glare of every single driver that would pass me. :dontknow:
I then packed up and left.

I left feeling like I was stealing something. Even if I had
permission wouldn't stop the cars from pointing and slowing down.

Honestly, even if you had permission from the city I feel as if
the home owner in the long run trumps anything else you would get.
Its not worth the hassle of arguing. I think.

Permission from homeowner is key.

Happy Hunting!!~
Jen

Last edited:

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy thread revivals! I guess since its back I will chime in. The grass strips are one of the best places to hunt, I found my first Merc on one. I try to hunt them on the weekends very early in the morning to avoid any confrontations.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....and just felt the stare
and glare of every single driver that would pass me. :dontknow:
I then packed up and left......

Jen, well SURE. We are in an odd-ball hobby that does indeed draw stairs from curious on-lookers. And does indeed have "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). And the mental picture you paint (of cars slowing down to gawk at you) paints .... to me .... a picture that you were going at a very non-opportune time. Like, heck, were you there at rush hour or something ? Nicksan hit the nail on the head:

..... I try to hunt them on the weekends very early in the morning to avoid any confrontations.

Bingo. Pick lower traffic times. Night hunting if-need-be. It's gotten to where I do 99% of my park turf hunting at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene.

Sort of like nose-picking: Not illegal, nor do you ask anyone "permission", but .... you STILL choose ... uh... "discreet times" so as not to offend the squeemish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions