size of the hole

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure you'll hear two schools of thought about that.Some say bigger plugs are better since you would have to do less digging to the sides of the hole if the target is off to one of the sides,also it is claimed that it's also better for the turf roots.
Myself,I tend to keep plugs on the smaller size,just enough to find my target.I mostly hunt for coins so I really see no need in digging large plugs several times the size of the coin.If you pin point proper with your detector for the most the target will be near the middle of the hole. or in the plug.At times I have been off a little on pin pointing so I just shave the side of the hole till I get it.
As long as you can dig a neat, 3 sided flip plug,recover your target, back fill the hole and replace the plug and you can't tell that the ground was distrubed,then I would say your good ta go.
That's my two cents and good luck to ya...........................................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dug a 8 inch hole in our parks you'd be fined for distruction of public property and have to pay for the reseeding of the area. I've seen it done. You did not say you cut a plug which is way different. Since most coins are very shallow, a good zero motion all metal pinpointing mode is a time saver as then you can just pop the coin out with a knife or screw driver. The knife or screw driver can be used as a probe to touch the coin and then popped out. Naturally deeper coins will need a plug cut on only 3 sides. Any dirt you remove should be placed on a cloth for reinserting back into the hole.
Recovery.PNG

Last edited:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I agree with the above indformation except, I have seen many potentially valuable coins damaged with a screwdriver or knife whli attempting to pop out of the ground. I use a small diameter digging tool and remove only enough dirt to retrieve my target. If you become proficient with your detectors pinpointing ability, then you will be able to know exactly where your target lies. You can have someone hide a coin under a newspaper and hone these skills. Old timers used probes with a ball bearing welded on the end to find their targets. Some say they became so proficient they could determine, not only what material they were going through but also how thick the material was. Some say they got to the point they could read a newspaper underground. Practice, practice and practice more and only cut three sides of a plug so the grass roots will not be comprimised. Good Luck. rockhound

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey does that elite have pinpointing if not use the cross method and watch the meter because if u r digging 8" holes u r doing something wrong. i have a 2200 not elite and i can usually do a 2 inch hole and i get the target

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i even try to see how small i can the plug and still get the target

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunntekk1 said:
i even try to see how small i can the plug and still get the target

I too have scratched a few coins and have brass tips on my probes now. Now we have electronic probes.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the concensus is that the bigger plugs are better for the grass recovery and less likely to damage the target but the big plugs are also most likely to get you thrown out of the park and having detecting banned. I know it sounds like it should be the opposite but that's because the complainers are ignorant. Giving that, I recommend the smallest, least invasive way to get the target out. It will take a little longer this way but at least we will still be able to hunt.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig a hole, horse-shoe shaped about 4 or 5" across, and as deep as my TDI tells me, and hit it every time. This leave roots intact and a nice plug to push back into the earth without leaving a trace. Time and experience will get you here.

Practice your zeroing in capabilities...no reason why you shouldn't.

Al

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding and help me out ,im going hunting again this weekend and try to pinpoint the target better. Im going hunt a high school that was built in the fifthies and maybe the dry lake im trying to hunt for a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions