mxt question

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected a 150 year old church the other day. I am a little new with the mxt. The old church only had the foundation left and all around the church were hot rocks everywhere. The mxt was just going crazy . I ground balanced on normal soil like i always do. Should i ground balance it on those rocks then lock it? I have a coinmaster pro i turned the discrimination up a little on it then tried but no luck either. Any answers will be helpful.

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ground balance should be done in a iron free area. If you want than you lock it. Those signals that you call hot rocks are most likely rusted metal. Now there is very little you can do with the mxt over hi signals since there is no way to notch them out and rising the discrimination will just not work. What you need to do is turn your sensitivity down, it might help. Running the detector at a lower sensitivity doesn't always mean less depth. In some situations the lower sensitivity helps the signal not to be so distorted by interference so you actually gain depth over hi sensitivity. Also what coil are you using? For trashy areas with lots of iron you need a small coil ( that is one of the reasons why they are made) a 5.3 or a 4x6 would work.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The hot rocks are maybe clinkers from coal ???? You could try to ground bal. over a hot rock looks like it would work altho you will lose a little depth.Thats what I do on most of my whites detectors. Do you have a mxt or a mxt pro? A smaller head would work better if you have one.The DD head is better in that inviroment but not as deep as a concentric most times. rwd mo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread