XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so heres the deal, i set the machine by both the book n talkg w some of u on here. all im findings now is clad, pulltabs, junk n sweat rolling down the crack. any1 else experiencing the same? or what r u doing different? in the spring it was awesome, metal tags, knives, rings, older coins, tokens, u knw the kool stuff... now just junk, any thoughts suggestion or ideas????

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
kgunn, If you ain't got PATIENCE give it up! You're not always going to find the good stuff man,one day you'll say WHOA,never give up,NEVER! The BEST TREASURE is in the next hole. God Bless Chris

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
kgunn said:
ok so heres the deal, i set the machine by both the book n talkg w some of u on here. all im findings now is clad, pulltabs, junk n sweat rolling down the crack. any1 else experiencing the same? or what r u doing different? in the spring it was awesome, metal tags, knives, rings, older coins, tokens, u knw the kool stuff... now just junk, any thoughts suggestion or ideas????

You most likely don't know what your doing. Do some research.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know your not always going to find the good stuff...... Do more research, don't expect to find something good everytime you go out.....If it was that easy everyone would be doing it and there would be nothing left to find........

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o i knw its probably the heat, its 106 here n we aint had a break in the heat in a month n no rain 4 as long. been out 3xs in the last 2 weeks. it seems all my finds in that time r only 2 - 3 inches down, i cant hit nothn deeper...

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as the R&I ive books upon books n maps upon maps. i do my homework...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as far as the R&I ive books upon books n maps upon maps. i do my homework...

Then you know ther are dry spells and it can last for weeks at a time if not longer....

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o i knw that, but its hard 2 explain that 2 a 9yr old who just cant wait 4 the next MD adventure n i so dont want him 2 loose interest I mean as a parent u do ur best 2 find somethg 2 occupy their time n teach them bout history n how thgs used 2 b. i went as far as getn books of possible thgs we could find in ground n when we get home he would go look it up in these books, it asesome 2 watch him do his own R&I... maybe ticm right, maybe we'll just play some video games since i dont knw what im doin...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For goodness sakes, just quit NOW, and send me your machine so you don't have to look at it in the closet every day! PM me for the address.. :laughing7:

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok terry i sent u a message

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so heres my question, does any1 have 2 change their settings on their machines when the ground is so hard n dry? if so to what?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to lose depth when its dry even on a high end machine and the one you got listed is not the deepest detector out there. Try and find a spot in the woods that hasn't had much traffic since way back when as usually the coins aren't as deep there. I don't detect anywhere that has nice grass when its this dry as there is no way to keep from killing the grass.

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thx wing, thats good heads up. but let me ask u this, so theres no way 2 adj the MD to gain depth then? or what about getting a smaller or larger coil 4 it, could that help?

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can decifer what you are typing somewhat! What kind of detector do you have? 3 inches isnt very deep. but maybe that is because the stuff is not any deeper. Most detectors can be tuned to go deeper, or more sensitive. If it is at maximum, coil size does help. Let us know what kind of detector and model, coil size etc, and we can help you. I see Minelab Exterra 505, is that your detector?

OP
OP
kgunn

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes 505 with a 9" coil

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve,He uses a key board to much!
I can decifer what you are typing somewhat! What kind of detector do you have? 3 inches isnt very deep. but maybe that is because the stuff is not any deeper. Most detectors can be tuned to go deeper, or more sensitive. If it is at maximum, coil size does help. Let us know what kind of detector and model, coil size etc, and we can help you. I see Minelab Exterra 505, is that your detector?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do a hard reset and start over. A hard reset will put you back to factory presets.It is usually done by holding down the power button till it beeps. The WORSE thing you can do is give up! TTC

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there. Clean out the coil cover and try that hard restart. Dry ground usually doesn't allow us to find deep targets as they sing out better in moist ground. Try to over lap sweeps and keep the coil level with the ground the whole sweep. Hang in there with the son, you are building memories for both of you.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta put the coil over good stuff to find it...In other words RESEARCH new spots!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread