Looking at Metal Detectors on Amazon and wondering...

Niefer

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
First of all, I'm new here and completely new to this hobby. I just bought my first home, which is 200 years old. I am interested in hunting in the yard (about 1.5 acres) and in the dirt basement. I am looking for a detector and the "Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV" had good reviews on Amazon. I know that Amazon and their customers are not the authority when it comes to these things so I'm asking you all for recommendations. Any and all information is appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

-Niefer

Upvote 0

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well it all depends on what your wanting to spend. what you want to find. is it gonna be a thing that you use a couple times and be done or something that you would like to continue.if you just want to search your yard a cheaper bounty hunter would be fine.but a better machine like an ace 250 or a fisher f2 would be good for all your needs just my opinion good luck if you find anything post pics :icon_thumleft:

Vizzio

Jun 11, 2012
Missoula, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2 w/ 11" DD Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a bit biased, I love my F2. My detecting partner uses a 250 and I seem to find better clearer targets than he does on a fairly regular basis. Just my 2 cents. For the price you can't beat the F2. That's what Kellyco told me on the phone before I bought it too.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with sonofadigger. I think it's better to have a little more of a machine then alittle less. U'd be surprised how addicting the hobby is.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From someone that started with the cheapest made to some of the $$$ ones. You can start with a Bounty Hunter if you can't afford a better one, but everyone always wants to upgrade from BH's. Maybe they were ashamed to be seen with one, I was. The entry level detectors by the national brands have it hands down for the amount of finds and fun value. Visit the manufacturers websites to learn which best suites you and then try to visit a dealer to handle them. Don't just choose based on price. Its not a TV. Give Bart of Big Boy Hobbies a call and he'll treat you right.
http://bigboyshobbies.net/

OP
OP
N

Niefer

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really excited to get started.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2 over the Garrett but don't ignore the Teknetics Alpha 2000. V the Garrett 250 its got a lighter coil, is lighter overal, better balance, a volume control, faster recovery speed, better (less waggly) shaft. Recent changes are an increase in the coil range and they have shielded the coil cable more effectively and its more stable. Both three tone and the only slight downside v the 250 is you have less sensitivity levels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread