Detector not beep on every pass

AndrewD

Jul 27, 2012
Little Compton, RI
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my 2nd post as I am a newbie to metal detecting. I have an Ace 250 and what I have noticed is that when the unit beeps (detector set for All metal) I will go back over the area where I think the beep occurred and it won't beep again. I will continue to go back and forth and it may beep again on the 3rd pass or maybe 5th, but not on every pass. I try to leave the coil about a half inch over the ground and do level passes. The depth will read over 6" deep. Eventually I will pin point it, dig and find the item. Why would the unit not beep on every pass over the object? Could it be the depth causing this? Shallower items, say about 2", will beep on every pass over. Andrew

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

This is my 2nd post as I am a newbie to metal detecting. I have an Ace 250 and what I have noticed is that when the unit beeps (detector set for All metal) I will go back over the area where I think the beep occurred and it won't beep again. I will continue to go back and forth and it may beep again on the 3rd pass or maybe 5th, but not on every pass. I try to leave the coil about a half inch over the ground and do level passes. The depth will read over 6" deep. Eventually I will pin point it, dig and find the item. Why would the unit not beep on every pass over the object? Could it be the depth causing this? Shallower items, say about 2", will beep on every pass over. Andrew

The ace-250 is a silent search machine in disc. mode. You say your problem is occuring in all-metal, (aka pinpoint) mode, right? I'm not sure if it's silent search in all-metal mode or not (as I don't own a 250). But if it IS a silent search search mode in all-metal too, then what's probably happening is that your targets in-question are at the depth range of the machine's ability to pick them up. Thus they only "come in" when you've got an exact centering over the target (as their is an exact center "sweet spot" of the most sensitivity right under the center). But contrast to if your swing were a hair over, and not exactly centered, then you'd get no beep. Also your likeliness to get a beep increases if you "smoosh" closer to the ground, since, of course, you're a hair closer to the target.

By "silent search", that means there's no back-ground theshold. It either beeps, or doesn't, with little tell-tale sound variations inbetween. That's a weakness of the 250 IMHO, as it just seems that having a threshold allows a person to hear the slight quivers of "half-way/almost there" type sounds, that cause you to re-scan and center over better to "bring the target in", so to speak.

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 350 did that a little bit (or I did) at first. I do agree, I think it is the depth. But I would be stubborn , and dig a bigger hole, and find something 50/50. Try turning 90 degrees, relocate, and pinpoint from another direction. Also try raising the coil a little higher, and reacquire. I am no expert, but have been doing pretty well. Try putting it in another mode too.
Good Luck,
BC

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Turning 90 degrees and re scanning the object is your chance to eventually hear the 2 beeps. Now the cause of this can be multiple, one can be the depth, the second can be the position of the object in respect of the movement of the coil. Let's say you have a coin that is not laying flat but it's at a 60 degree angle. On one swing the coin will show up fine on the back swing the detetor will just see the profile of the coin and so it won't beep. The only way to make sure is to turn yourself at a 90 degree angle respect of the target and re scan it. It might not sound at all or it may sound on both swings. I wouldn't dig it if it doesn't sound...
Anyhow with time you will learn how to ID a good targhet and how to avoid diggin up "a lot" of trash, you will still dig up trash since it's basically impossible to avoid it but you will know what NOT to dig...

HH

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right at the edge of its depth range on that target. A lot of deep trash will give a one way signal. Circle the target while swinging and you might hit an angle where its repeatable.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace-250 is a silent search machine in disc. mode. You say your problem is occuring in all-metal, (aka pinpoint) mode, right? I'm not sure if it's silent search in all-metal mode or not (as I don't own a 250). But if it IS a silent search search mode in all-metal too, then what's probably happening is that your targets in-question are at the depth range of the machine's ability to pick them up. Thus they only "come in" when you've got an exact centering over the target (as their is an exact center "sweet spot" of the most sensitivity right under the center). But contrast to if your swing were a hair over, and not exactly centered, then you'd get no beep. Also your likeliness to get a beep increases if you "smoosh" closer to the ground, since, of course, you're a hair closer to the target.

By "silent search", that means there's no back-ground theshold. It either beeps, or doesn't, with little tell-tale sound variations inbetween. That's a weakness of the 250 IMHO, as it just seems that having a threshold allows a person to hear the slight quivers of "half-way/almost there" type sounds, that cause you to re-scan and center over better to "bring the target in", so to speak.

This picture should also help you visulize the coil's field at depth. Any target missed by a small amount won't be seen by the coil the same as it might have been on the first sweep.
232.jpg
233.jpg

Last edited:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turning 90 degrees and re scanning the object is your chance to eventually hear the 2 beeps. Now the cause of this can be multiple, one can be the depth, the second can be the position of the object in respect of the movement of the coil. Let's say you have a coin that is not laying flat but it's at a 60 degree angle. On one swing the coin will show up fine on the back swing the detetor will just see the profile of the coin and so it won't beep. The only way to make sure is to turn yourself at a 90 degree angle respect of the target and re scan it. It might not sound at all or it may sound on both swings. I wouldn't dig it if it doesn't sound...
Anyhow with time you will learn how to ID a good targhet and how to avoid diggin up "a lot" of trash, you will still dig up trash since it's basically impossible to avoid it but you will know what NOT to dig...

HH

I agree with what norbyx said. In a nut shell, the target could be to deep, at a bad angle or could be mineralized soil, like a small wire that has rusted away.

Turning 90º and lifting the coil are all good points.

If you can get a good pin point on the target, dig it. That’s the only way you are going to learn what the Ace is telling you.

Empty holes are part of the game.:dontknow::icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread