kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been researching places to hunt and found several references to an uninhabited island on this river. Accessible only by boat and littered with old camp sites, I'm curious what can be found. The oldest references I can find date back to the 1790's. Times like this, I wish I had an AT PRO.
Jay you are correct on your info ....Ive thought about a roadtrip to the islands myself as our group is about an hour & half away!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you guys from

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about 20 mins north of PGH. Todays hunt was more of a recon mission. Didn't find n e thing notable. Think its more of a fall, early spring location. The vegetation was damn near impenetrable.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I know some guys who hunted there. Claimed not to have found much. If its the place I am thinking about.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prolly the same place. It's called Jacks island. Well, the search for my honey hole continues....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at Jack's island every day from where I work. Frequenly floods over in winter. If you look across the river you'll see a bunch of big, ugly orange Vac trucks.....that's where I work.

Lots of turtles here that swimover from the island and sun on the slag. Eastern spineys, on the watch list so illegal to hunt but a growing population.

Problem with islands like this, flooding removes and redeposits silt. I got pictures from a few years back when you could barely see the tree tops from flooding.

Before they developed it, I detected Brunot's (sp) Island down 28. Used to have slaughter houses and a couple old passenger train cars. Found silverware...lots of silverware...not silver but they used garbage from restaurants to feed the pigs. Now there are condos and a skulling club there.

I've also detected along the Allegheny just below the Kiski river. Silt was almost a foot deep from flooding and this area is probably 15 feet or so above the river.

This area is very important historically so don't get discouraged. Early settlers lived here, traded here, the famous indian massacre right near Jack's Island...I can go on and on....
And one interesting note...the valley that runs up the hill on your side of the river by Jack's Island...if you hike up there, there is a naturals gas line running up it with some bad leaks in it...but what is important, once you reach the pump you'll see puddles of natural oil that seeps up out of the ground that the indians used for paint I think...
Like I said...lots of very interesting history in the area.

Good luck,

Al

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might start hitting some local ballfields and a few other places I've researched. I need to start finding something. It does get frustrating finding only sinkers and pull tabs on every outing.

As for area history, oh there is a lot. From the salt wells in wild cat hollow as u mentioned, to Murphy's island and Bottom, and Chartiers Run/Station. I think I just need to find a location with more potential for a while.

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread