Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: opinions please...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    knoxville Illinois
    Etrac
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    Surprisingly no water restrictions here. We get out water from the Mississippi river and its at its lowest levels that I've ever seen in my lifetime. Hopefully things will start to change around here...the look ahead forecast is calling for above normal precipitation here. If course....after its to late for the crops.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco
    Surprisingly no water restrictions here. We get out water from the Mississippi river and its at its lowest levels that I've ever seen in my lifetime. Hopefully things will start to change around here...the look ahead forecast is calling for above normal precipitation here. If course....after its to late for the crops.

Hope you folks out there get some rain and soon.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT300 D2, 950, 6X10 DD, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    [QUOTE=cudamark;2888752]
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    You will hit on deep targets better in wet ground
    That's not always true. It will depend on the type of mineralization there is in the ground and the type of detector you have. Take a single frequency VLF detector to a salt water beach and you'll get much better depth in the dry sand than wet, especially if there is lots of iron particles.
    Being that he's in Illinois there won't be any salt beaches anywhere near where he's detecting, I've seen the VDI numbers differ when the ground is really dry as well. HH

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1137 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That was just a "for instance". He could have other conditions that can have the same effect.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2012
    New Mexico
    Minelab E-trac, Garrett 2500
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    If a fellow Etrac user's opinion counts for anything, the success you are experiencing is directly attributable to the machine you are using.

us
    Mar 2012
    knoxville Illinois
    Etrac
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    The learning curve on the Etrac just about drove me nuts !! On more than one occasion I wanted to wrap the thing around the tree. Had some good help along the way from a friend that already owned an Etrac and has always used Minelab detectors. Thinking I may have finally figured this thing out.

us
    May 2012
    PA
    Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
    117 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DigImust View Post
    If a fellow Etrac user's opinion counts for anything, the success you are experiencing is directly attributable to the machine you are using.

Hmmmm....Let's see.....Where to start...No I better not, I'm coming off a two-day suspension from T-net for my other comments....

But you see a guy could have a lot of fun with the Etrac post above

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    117 times
    If you created a test bed you can see what is true. Use Presets, or where a set size of nail or foil is just knocked out, so the detector is set exactly the same for each test. Note best depths in drought conditions, normal weather and wet. Most detectors do not like very (bone) dry ground but waterlogged conditions also can have a negative effect. Slightly damp seems best and modern technology doesn't seem to have changed anything. In very dry ground some of the older (pre motion) detectors operating down at the one kHz level seemed to suffer less depth loss in the dry but they were none discriminators which is another factor to consider.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    2144 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Seems like my machines work better in moist ground.

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    37 times
    My deepest coin find was in soggy wet ground with standing water.....just sayin...
    Never really paid much attention because I have a tendancy not to detect when it's bone dry ground....unless I'm out in the woods in the middle of nowhere...and I find very few coins..mostly looking for relics that are big anyhow.

Al
    I think...therefore I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors