Detecting riverbeds

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I'm about to have my last hurrahs metal detecting before college starts (who says I can't during the school year :p? Just not as much :(. ). I want to finish my first summer metal detecting with a bang, so I'm going to detect along the one of my area's larger rivers (the Cuyahoga specifically). My question to you folks is what should I be looking for when hiking alongside it? Are there any indicators of a good spot? Thanks!

Edit: I would love some company if anybody feels like joining me! I also plan to detect Forest Hills park (John D. Rockefeller's former estate) this week if anybody is interested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research and find out if there was a swimming hole there from days gone by. Good luck.

Can't join you but you have given me an idea. The rivers here are very low due to the drought. There is a spot down the road where people would come from the city, spend the day and go swimming many years past. Hmmmmmmm.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that most of the Cuyahoga was completely dug out and replaced in Cleveland a while back, so finds may be scarce there, but if you are south of there you might have some luck.

Golden oaks

Aug 4, 2012
BEACH BETTER HAVE MY MONEY!
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Excalibur II
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It seems to me that you'll get more trash than treasure. Good Luck

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies! My plan is to go south near the old portage path and see what I can find. I've also pinpointed a temporary Moravian mission called pilgerruh which may yield some good stuff. I'll let y'all know what I find. In the meantime, I'm going to try rockefeller's old estate.

Gold milker

Aug 20, 2012
stow Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting

Hi fordam3. I am very interested in doing some hunting with you so let me know ASAP and let's find some goodies. I live in Stow- Cuyahoga Falls area and know that the Cuyahoga River was a very highly used means of transportation and travel for hundreds of years. Would love to check out rockafellers old estate too. Let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Did you find anything interesting at Forest Hill? Forest Hill was once the 700-acre estate of oil baron John D. Rockefeller . I use to go there with my cousins in the '60's and early 70's. Of course the Rockefeller home was gone by then. It burned down under mysterious circumstances in 1917. That hill it sat on was used for decades for sledding in the winter. 235 acres ofth estate were made into a public park and opened in 1942. I recall the beauty of Forest Hills park. Haven't been there in several decades, but I hear it still is nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread