Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
    15 times
    Metal Detecting

Detecting riverbeds

So I'm about to have my last hurrahs metal detecting before college starts (who says I can't during the school year ? Just not as much . ). I want to finish my first summer metal detecting with a bang, so I'm going to detect along the one of my area's larger rivers (the Cuyahoga specifically). My question to you folks is what should I be looking for when hiking alongside it? Are there any indicators of a good spot? Thanks!

Edit: I would love some company if anybody feels like joining me! I also plan to detect Forest Hills park (John D. Rockefeller's former estate) this week if anybody is interested.
    Last edited by fordam3; Aug 13, 2012 at 08:26 PM.

us
    Dec 2007
    Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
    Garrett GTAX 1000
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Do some research and find out if there was a swimming hole there from days gone by. Good luck.

Can't join you but you have given me an idea. The rivers here are very low due to the drought. There is a spot down the road where people would come from the city, spend the day and go swimming many years past. Hmmmmmmm.
    If it's not nailed down it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    747 times
    I know that most of the Cuyahoga was completely dug out and replaced in Cleveland a while back, so finds may be scarce there, but if you are south of there you might have some luck.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Aug 2012
    Southeast Ohio
    Bounty Hunter Tracker III White's Coinmaster 1000 series 3 Tesoro Sand Shark
    6 times
    It seems to me that you'll get more trash than treasure. Good Luck

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for the replies! My plan is to go south near the old portage path and see what I can find. I've also pinpointed a temporary Moravian mission called pilgerruh which may yield some good stuff. I'll let y'all know what I find. In the meantime, I'm going to try rockefeller's old estate.

us
    Shawn M.

Aug 2012
    stow Ohio
    Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker

Hunting

Hi fordam3. I am very interested in doing some hunting with you so let me know ASAP and let's find some goodies. I live in Stow- Cuyahoga Falls area and know that the Cuyahoga River was a very highly used means of transportation and travel for hundreds of years. Would love to check out rockafellers old estate too. Let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by Gold milker; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:01 PM.

us
    Nov 2007
    SW Florida
    Bounty Hunter 202
    6 times
    Did you find anything interesting at Forest Hill? Forest Hill was once the 700-acre estate of oil baron John D. Rockefeller . I use to go there with my cousins in the '60's and early 70's. Of course the Rockefeller home was gone by then. It burned down under mysterious circumstances in 1917. That hill it sat on was used for decades for sledding in the winter. 235 acres ofth estate were made into a public park and opened in 1942. I recall the beauty of Forest Hills park. Haven't been there in several decades, but I hear it still is nice.

Sponsors