sell gold for scrap or some other way

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Plug cutter said:
When every one sells the gold they found over the year how do you go about it. do you sell it at a pawn shop for scrap price, or at a jewelry store for the jewelry price?

Let me know the jewelry store that would do that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precious metal refineries.....
Midwest refineries is one...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER EVER SELL YOUR GOLD TO A PAWN SHOP OR "CASH FOR GOLD" STORES. Because you will be ripped off big time. I only sell my scrap gold that I don't want to either Midwest Refineries or ARA refineries. ARA pays you 98% of spot price and will send you back any stones or none gold items you shipped by mistake. Check the price of your scrap gold here. http://greatlakesmetaldetecting.com/phpBB3/goldcalc.php This is the easiest site to calculate the price of your gold. The only thing is you need to mail it in to ARA and you can register the package which still has to be signed for or insure the package. Well worth it when you are getting 98% of the spot price for what ever Karet/weight you send in.

Last edited:

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread! I was wondering about this myself. Now all I have to do is find things of value. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fine for simple bands but if it has an interesting design, shape or pattern, or if it has some decent stones in it, I'd try to get a free appraisal and then put it on E-bay with the scrap value as a reserve. Sometimes you will get quite a bit more that way. I know one guy who ran the good stuff through a local auction house and did better than scrap. Another option is to check with a local antique store to see if you can consign an item like that.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's fine for simple bands but if it has an interesting design, shape or pattern, or if it has some decent stones in it, I'd try to get a free appraisal and then put it on E-bay with the scrap value as a reserve. Sometimes you will get quite a bit more that way. I know one guy who ran the good stuff through a local auction house and did better than scrap. Another option is to check with a local antique store to see if you can consign an item like that.

Thanks for posting that. It makes me sick to think of all of the irreplaceable antique jewelry/coins that are probably being melted down as "scrap". : (

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to decide what is scrap. Selling the others on Ebay is also time consuming and maybe not worth the effort for any profit beyond what you'd get as scrap to a refinery. I have sold some nice rings to customers at estate sales or they make great gifts to friends or in trade for services rendered to doctors, dentists, etc. An who can forget grand daughters?

Here is the link for ARA Refineries. http://www.aragold.com/about-ara.html

Last edited:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
... they make great gifts to friends or in trade for services rendered to doctors, dentists, etc. ...

Excellent thought, Sandman !! Barter the valuable items for needed services or even fresh food at a farmers market. I have not looked, but I'm almost certain that there are books available from the library covering the subject of the art of bartering.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting that. It makes me sick to think of all of the irreplaceable antique jewelry/coins that are probably being melted down as "scrap". : (
That's why I try to find the owner. Many times the reward is worth many times the "melt" value.

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sell most of my gold, and jewelry to Rogers jewelers, unless the ring has nice gemstones, then I usually sell them out right to friends, family, ebay.

Sammy14

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way that you sell your gold does not matters until you get the right price for your gold. Choose the right firm which offers right price for your gold. Don't choose the firm based on their years of service, choose them based on their past record of service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread