Hello all from Central PA

hbgdisp

Aug 18, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hello all looking for some pointers to MD. I have a very basic Whites Coinmaster that I got as a gift and I am thankful for that. It will work to introduce me to the hobby. I am having a terrible time pinpointing targets. I plan on getting a hand help but have not done so yet. I have managed to find some coins,matchbox car and a key. It seems everywhere I have tired so far detector does a lot of bouncing between coin ID and pull tabs is this usual? Any pointers will greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where at in central PA r u from that's where I am

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Harrisburg here too....if you guys ever want to go out hunting pm me for sure....i am new to the hobby too

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !

allot depends on what the target is, as to why the ID may bounce.

The rest may be your freshness to the hobby.
is your detector new or an older model Coinmaster ?
the older ones weren't quite as stable, especially in certain ground conditions.

being you are from Hbg. your probably familiar with the Whites dealer on Derry st.
if you haven't yet, perhaps a trip down there one day, may help clear things up.
I would think they could give you some pointers.

Also take Rossman up on his offer & Good luck !

keep us informed.

Jeff

P.S.

I'm about 40 Mile north of yous, just off Interstate 81 (SEE Red DOT)

Untitled2ww.jpg

perhaps when I heal we can meet midway somehere for a hunt

Last edited:
OP
OP
hbgdisp

hbgdisp

Aug 18, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Rossman sent you a PM .

Jeff thanks for the insight . I have been to the whites dealer it is right down the street from me. The problem I see most is I ID a target as a 25¢ or 50¢ piece. Change my position around target re-swing and it ID's as a tab. Should I dig it anyway? The other issue I need to figure out is the sound difference between the edge of coil and center for better target location. It is a new coimaster Jeff and godspeed on getting better.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rossman sent you a PM .

Jeff thanks for the insight . I have been to the whites dealer it is right down the street from me. The problem I see most is I ID a target as a 25¢ or 50¢ piece. Change my position around target re-swing and it ID's as a tab. Should I dig it anyway? The other issue I need to figure out is the sound difference between the edge of coil and center for better target location. It is a new coimaster Jeff and godspeed on getting better.

Best thing to do is dig. the more you dig the better you'll get at interpreting the sound & meter.
those changes in ID when you change position could mean trash, or more then one object.

FYI I have a Minelab SE some of my friends have the Minelab Etrac these are both $1000.00 + detectors
the ID on them is not fool Proof
There is no detector out there that is or ever will be till they
perfect X-RAys :unhappysmiley:

as for Pinpointing I think your detector has a Concenric coil.

Center should be pinpoint

OP
OP
hbgdisp

hbgdisp

Aug 18, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I know its not something that I will learn overnight Jeff. I will keep at to try and learn my current machine. Like you said dig, dig, dig until I begin to understand what my machine is telling me. When you feel better I would gladly meet up for a hunt. Thanks again.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its not something that I will learn overnight Jeff. I will keep at to try and learn my current machine. Like you said dig, dig, dig until I begin to understand what my machine is telling me. When you feel better I would gladly meet up for a hunt. Thanks again.
If you get a chance to hunt with Jeff...definitely do it....He is a wealth of knowlege!

OP
OP
hbgdisp

hbgdisp

Aug 18, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks Kayden I will.. I know he is a wealth of knowledge I remember years back reading his post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread