Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been on a hiatus for several years from metal detecting and now that I have started again I remember one of many things that drove me bonkers.
Where I hunt you really cannot dig holes, parks, churches private yards, and in eastern Mass we have tons of small flat coin sized rocks. I probe with either a brass probe or a flat head screw driver that I rounded off the end of. When I am probing I try to be gentle as you don't want to scratch a seated dime or quarter so as soon as I touch something at about the right depth I cut a slit and gently work it up to the surface to find - another flat rock :BangHead:

If I wasn't being that careful I could and have tapped the rock/coin to try to see what it is, but I seem to find alot of rocks, I feel like Charlie Brown at Halloween. I think that is why I like to hunt the beach with a sifter or a local park that dates from the 1800's where I found a large cent but has mostly loam.

How do most people do it?

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Use a lesche and a probe metal detector.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know how to pinpoint well you don't really need a electronic pinpointer. However many detectors now only have a motion all metal and it is hard to nail it down to a dime size spot. Having flat rocks or having to detect with any rocks is the pits. All I do is tap the rock or coin to get a feel for what is is and it takes practice. I am worng sometimes. Fishing amoung the weeds is the pits for fishermen and we have to live with the down sides too. Beats having to go shopping for fabrics with the wife anyway. :laughing7:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get used to the difference by "feel" after you've done it awhile. I also use a pin pointer probe adjusted to where it practically has to touch the coin to set it off.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ben you near the water or more inland?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Make a probe out of plastic tubing. Remove your regular probe and insert it. if it lights, its metal.

Plastic probe- thin plastic tubing with two thin insulated wires going thru it. epoxy wires in tubing at bottom. file till the copper of both wires show. Now hook 2 AA cells in series with a LED. Connect the remaining lead from the LED & bat to the wires in probe. The metal object acts as the switch. Don't know electronics? Send me a PM. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn that's freakn awesome. Very interesting. You should patent that. I gotta do some prototyping of that. Pure genius actually.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those have actually been on the market before. I had a friend with one but it just didn't work all that well. If the coin is at an odd angle, it was hard to get the connection to work. Crusty coins didn't allow for a good connection either.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I built one about 14 years ago. I used a brass tube with one wire in it. The tube served as the other connection. Used 2 AAA cells in series with a LED. The brass tube went into a small plastic box. Worked well for me. I lost it when my house burned and switched to mainly cache hunting so I never built another. Parts and labor would be about $20. It is simple to build if you know the basics. Maybe I will build another and picture it here. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread