Soil types and detecting in Louisiana.

tsl_man

Jan 9, 2005
Hey folks, I'm new here and have done a little detecting with an older and cheaper model garrett, don't remember the model.
I am ready to purchase a new or good used unit but not sure what is best for my soil type. I did a search within this site and read some older threads but was wondering if anyone here lives in central LA. I live near a river so most of the soil within 50 miles or so is sandy to loamy and sometimes not well drained. I will detect in some clay ocassionally, (red clay, not sure if it is important) and dry bayou (creek) beds. I have used a $500 dollar whites about 8 months ago from a friend, but was not impressed cause it basically did the same thing my cheap model did, and the display said coins but they were beer tabs( that why I was not impressed). Also I don't claim to be and expert at setting the controls either. I left it like he had it. I have found coins, brass rings used on horse tack, old privies?, trash pits with very old bottles with my cheap detector. My style is I am very patient so I go real slow and dig up everything. Sometimes I just think I could be missing something by using a very old and cheap unit. You guys offer great advice so lay it on me.
Oh yea, I need to stay around 250 bucks.
Thanks!!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MINELAB. either an Explorer, Quatro or Sovereign. with the multiple Freq's. I would look in to them.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
MINELAB. either an Explorer, Quatro or Sovereign. with the multiple Freq's. I would look in to them.

Sorry,...
not for $250 bucks you won't.....

OP
OP
T

tsl_man

Jan 9, 2005
Mine lab huh, I'll look into it. I have checked out almost all brands. It would be nice to test them all before you buy. I spoke with an old man a few months ago in north LA who had actually found coins (about a bucket full), relics and a some nice rings. He uses a BH quick draw 2. I don't know anything about that model but he does have the goods to prove that it works. I don't see alot of good stuff about them, but I know it works for him. I am going to do some research and I'll let you guys know which one I am going with. Also I am going to post some pics of my "treasures" I found with my old garrett in a few weeks when I get back home.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO SAID ;
Sorry,...
not for $250 bucks you won't.....?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?TORRERO, has a point. I missed the $250.00 limit. you could find a used Sovereign for maby 400 on the "BAY"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread