is it platinum?

vidasp

Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi,

my father gave me several pieces of metall which according to him is platinum. But... I have melted it in the spoon over the flame. So it can't be platinum I guess. Then again, I measured the density and this metall has a density of platinum. Besides, it does not dissovle in HNO3, so this can'n be lead and it does react with hydrogen peroxyde producing small bubbles and this is exactly what platinum does. So I am lost, what do you think it is? Some kind of alloy?

Regards,

Vidas

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What form was the metal in? Was it nuggets found metal detecting? Sounds reasonable that it might be an alloy or otherwise impure sample.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a test kit, L got one on e bay for 16,95 tests gold silver and platinum.

OP
OP
V

vidasp

Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nugets from old Sowiet glass melting factory. Platinum was used in thermocouples to measure the temperature in melting furnace. So for 30 years he was sure that it is platinum. But so as it melted in a spoon, it can't be. But it should have some percentage of it, because it reacts with peroxyde as hell. Thanks. I will get a testing kit. Just one problem- I guess that it won't work with an impure sample.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread