Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great question. Never read any first hand accounts. Can see them being dropped at battle sites. Travel and campsites though,some could have bounced out on foot horseback or wagon. Wonder if any one ever shed any due to weight though if powder available to match it would be a precious risk to sacrifice. Worn out cartridge boxes could lead to pockets being used too. Troops leaving field ,wounded ,sick, ect. May have divvied up ammo ? With some carved on,wonder if any were gambled.

Too the shear number of bullets compared to plates,buttons and such should be more found?

Last edited:

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just dropping out of there cartridge box while running, or laying the gear down at a camp site and falls out due to worn flaps on the pouch , great topic to start this should get interesting, AC

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Imagine running around getting shot at and pulling your ammo out of this.

image-1222896006.jpg

TK in VA

Mar 30, 2012
Front Royal
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe that alot of it had to do with the paper getting wet. Once it got wet, they would have to throw the bullet away- so I was told. I have hunted quite a few camps where they would be making bullets. I think they were probably just casting them and laying them on the ground. I would think it would be hard to pick them all up- especially in the woods or in fairly tall grass. Can't say for sure.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a pretty good reason for so many dropped balls. I have been in battle. I have had people get shot next to me. It is not EASY to reload when the bullets are hitting all around you. Your hands don't seem to settle down long enough to do what your brain is trying to get them to do. Trying to reload a musket must have seemed to take ETERNITY under fire! TTC

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've reenacted in several civil battles , and I lost buttons , canteen caps, coins from my haversack , it's easy to lose , but add a real life event like that it would be easy to do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions