Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Should I Use Headphones?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2012
    7 times

Should I Use Headphones?

I have a garrett 250 and have been using it for about 6-7 hours without headphones and have been doing alright but I see so many people using them. Im 23 and have good hearing and the display has a signal strength indicator so what are the advantages of using them?

Also, how much better is a leishe (spelling) digging tool compared to a $5 metal gardening shovel?
    tokameel likes this.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT300 D2, 950, 6X10 DD, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    With headphones it allows you to hear those real deep faint signals that you wouldn't hear without headphones, you can't really go by the VDI indication on the real deep targets because if its barely picking up the target its not going to VDI spot on either. I've had my lesche four years now and went through alot of other loaners and bought another lesche for a loaner so I wouldn't have to keep replacing the one I lone out. HH
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    990 times
    Use the headphones. It's easier to ignore people that way, just pretend you can't hear them

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8364 times
    wingmaster is correct, even with really good hearing, you want hear those really faint signals that you will with headphones....Wind noise and outside noise like people talking will interfere with what you hear, and like spark said it is also easier to ignore a persistent person who keeps asking the same question....."Did you find anything yet?"
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lady Pirate and Sandman like this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

nz
    Any day out detecting, is a good day !

Jun 2012
    Wellington
    Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000, AT-Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark
    36 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree with the rest of the team here on the use of headphones. Also if you get a tone that alerts you to a target of "really great interest" , say like for example, in the silver spectrum, you are not telling the rest of the world what you just found.

When I started I used my wife's gardening trowels. (Big Big Mistake!) I bent two of them rather quickly on the harder compact ground. The trowels worked well in the often tilled gardens or any lightly compacted soils but,,, get them out in the forest with all those roots and, hard ground conditions and good Lesche will literally "leave them in the dust". A Lesche isn't cheap (unless on special) but given the choice again between the cheaper trowels and purchasing another lesche .. I would buy the lesche. They are tough as old nails

Aug 2012
    7 times
    Alright perfect, ill be looking in to headphones a bit more today snd will be purchasing a leishe today for sure. Theyre 35-45 bucks shipped on ebay which isnt bad
    Chips and strateloss like this.

us
    Aug 2012
    NJ
    Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
    111 times
    Metal Detecting
    after breaking 2 of our gardening trowels....I picked up the Lesche digger and as previously stated it's tough as old nails, absolutely no regrets here!!
    Chips likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53
    Use the headphones. It's easier to ignore people that way, just pretend you can't hear them
    I hated head phones when I started, but I wear them to act like I can't hear annoying people that wanna a pain in my butt lol
    strateloss likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1063 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Most manufacturers claim you get better battery life while using headphones also.

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    112 times
    If you don't use headphones you may well find people out enjoying the fresh air/having a picnic in the park or on a beach will get annoyed at having you nearby "beeping" away.

Battery life should be improved but impedance has to be considered, the headphones have to match the detectors output.

Headphone selection can't be done through a forum. What's best for one detector could be the worse for another. Someone may say the best I've tried on my Ace is brand X but they or you may have a degree of industrial or military hearing loss that has to be taken into account if a detector doesn't have a tone/pitch adjustment on it.

Five minutes detecting next to a busy road or crashing waves on a beach will soon convince you of the importance of headphone use.

us
    Apr 2010
    Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
    10 times
    I'm yet to believe that headphones increase battery life and everytime i ask this question "How" i get no response.So if you would like to try and explain this to me feel welcome to do so.Rich
    rich battistoni

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1500 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The reason you will get longer battery life by using headphones is because the pa(power amplifier) circuit (parts that drive the speaker) uses more juice than any other circuit in the detector. By using the headphones, you bypass the speaker pa, extending the life of the batteries. TTC
    Last edited by TerryC; Sep 01, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
    Sandman likes this.
    Hoy es un regalo de Dios.

Charter Member
    us
    Swingy Thingy

Nov 2010
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    FisherF75 ,Garret Propointer ,Vivitar HD Cam, Lesche Digger.Only the best of the best Sir!
    573 times
    I quit using headphones when I almost stepped on a Green Mohave.

Charter Member
    us
    tokameel

May 2012
    Mequon, Wi
    1974 White. Now a Garrett Ace 250. 8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
    39 times
    Looking for Error coins from the bank. Update: I can MD with wheelchair!
    Terry, I am uncomfortable using the headphones with my Ace 250 because I hunt alone and I want to hear when people are in the area. But I will give it a try.
    Total paranoia is total awareness!
    strateloss likes this.
    Oh 12/21/12, Where is thy sting?

Charter Member
    us
    It's there,you just gotta look for it!

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    2190 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    I'm 61 and without headphones to hear the tone on my M-6 it's hard,and I pay attention to the VDI! God Bless Chris
    Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?

Everyone has a right to be WRONG,but,

it's not RIGHT to be wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors