Fancy Discriminating Detectors when you dig everything anyway

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OK, so I am new to this hobby. Bought myself a Sand Shark and have been learning how to use it on the local beaches. I have spent considerable hours reading everything I could on this and other forums. In many, many instances seasoned vets state that (when land or dry sand hunting) a particular type of metal will sound like/read like another, gold will read like iron, etc. So the recommendation is to dig everything so as not to miss the goodies, no matter what the readings say. This begs the question: if one should generally dig everything why buy a detector with the displays that indicate what type of metal, depth, and give the option to notch out different types of metals?

On the beach, with my SS, I dig almost everything. Have learned that a bobby pin or a long piece of wire gives me a double beep when pinpointing so I generally pass. However, have also learned that a pull tab, a bottle top and a quarter all sound the same, hence I dig them all. Have yet to find gold so I don't know how that will sound.......but I long to hear it!

So????

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When on the (salt) beach, I dig everything. Sand is easy to dig. I don't depend on displays or discrimmination, on the beach. That's a loaded statement... my Impulse 8 doesn't HAVE a display or disc! But really, I would dig everything on the beach anyway. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions