where do you send your gold

warrior

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250
I read on my other forum that ARA was the place to turn in your gold, but they may not buy from the public anymore. Does anyone know for sure, or have other suggestions. I have an 11.5 gram Platinum ring; an 18K gold 7.6 gram, and a 14K gold 7.6 gram ring that my local jeweler will give me $800.00. I've read to stay away from jewelers though, so I'm wondering what I really have and itching to buy another MD.

Upvote 0

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hats really not that bad of a price

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell most jewelers I deal with give a better price than gold shops. Shop around call to see how much they pay a gram.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add that the jeweler also gives you a 3 day 2 night stay in Vegas with any transaction.

I'd tell the jeweler to forget that stay and pay me 1/2 of what the room would have cost :laughing7:

Mo' money :headbang:

OP
OP
W

warrior

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250
Well, after checking out some other places to sell my platinum and gold rings (3 of them) I went back to Kevin Jewelers, they gave me the most money and the 2 night stay in Vegas. I'd have to say that Amir was a very good guy to talk to and he was pleasant to due business with. I will gladly give them the opportunity to bid on my next find.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
At one time, midwest refineries was the best deal. You would send your gold to them and a few days later, they would sent you a check in the mail. You might want to google them and see if they are paying better than the jeweler down the street. I dont know how it work as far as what percent they paid, but a lot of folks on here used them.

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent my gold mostly 14k to Empire Gold. I used them once before I will let you know how I did.

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr Freezelove said:
I just sent my gold mostly 14k to Empire Gold. I used them once before I will let you know how I did.

Just found out that out of 138grams of gold 69grams that was marked 14k is not gold at all. Very disappointing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near Midwest and don't use them anymore because they only pay 94% of spot and anything that isn't "gold" you don't get back. ARA pays 98% of the spot price, returns all stones, and non gold items you sent by mistake. The jewelry store ripped you off even with the Vagas stay as somebody had to pay for it and you might not of wanted to go there to spend more money. Check out this gold calulator site to check for the price of gold paid at 98% of spot.
Great Lakes Metal Detecting metal detecting, Michigan, Great Lakes, treasure, relic hunting, detector, gold, silver, rings, coins, forum • Gold Calculator

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I just called ARA and they do not deal with the general public unless you have a tax ID number or an EIA number. I do know that you probably could have done much better with Midwest Refineries, I know that on gold they pay 95% of the market value, and Sandman is correct, you will not get any returns on stones or anything , all you will get is a check.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I would be cautious with Empire Gold. My Firefox has a feature which shows the reputation of websites and the website for Empire is yellow, which means use caution. Second caution is the fact that they are located in New York city. I also visited their website and they pay by the ounce. Like today from one to three ounces it is $930 on 10k gold, whereas if you had 25 to 50 ounces you get $1013. So if you send in a few rings you will get the lower price and I don't like that, they should be consistant. I think Midwest Refineries is the way to go, but if there is any question on any stones remove them or have them removed because you will not get them back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread