Metal Detector

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
J.D. said:
I'm going to buy a metal detector for the 1st time, and would like some advice on what brand to get! A friend of mine said that anything other then a Whites is a waste of money. I have a price range of $300-$600 dollars and I am considering a Garrett Pro...

Hmmm interesting question. This is a good topic.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
J.D. said:
I'm going to buy a metal detector for the 1st time, and would like some advice on what brand to get! A friend of mine said that anything other then a Whites is a waste of money. I have a price range of $300-$600 dollars and I am considering a Garrett Pro...
JD i have read the AT pro is good.You want to really get a feel for your first detector,Tesoro just came out a few months back with the Outlaw.Comes with three coils.It is a awesome detector.Go to the Kellyco site and check it out. O:-)

OP
OP
J

J.D.

Greenie
Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I suppose so, However there is hundreds to choose from

OP
OP
J

J.D.

Greenie
Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will and thx for the response!

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have the AT Pro, and with the standard mode, you can use it like an Acer 250, but once you get to know the detector, switch to Pro mode, and let the fun begin. Like any machine, the more you use it, the better you get with it. Plus the AT Pro is waterproof up to 10ft, and even if you don't plan on water hunting, there is always the rain storm that sneaks up on you while your detecting. It's an amazing hobby, so which ever you choose, happy detecting!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most major metal detector manufacturers make a good detector in your price range. More money will usually buy you more whistles and bells and most of the time, more depth and stability. For a first detector, I'd recommend a good used one. You can usually get a higher end model for the same money and if you decide detecting is not for you, you can resell it without losing much, if any, of your hard earned cash. Decide what kind of detecting you plan on doing and get one that is best at filling that need.

OP
OP
J

J.D.

Greenie
Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply. The majority of my time will be looking for coins and jewelry. I plan to detect at old properties, lakes, rivers and creeks for the most part.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Old swimming areas in lakes may produce well. Rivers and creeks are not good, generally speaking. River and creek banks are good, if there was activity. If you want waterproof on the cheap atpro is good. If you think you can can keep the brain box out of the drink, listen to Terry.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes White's are great machines but don't over look the others. I have used White's for years and really like them. The AT PRO is also a great machine for the price. I hear a lot of good things about them. I believe one of the best coin machines is the Minelab E-trac. You will find on this forum that those who use a particular machine will only refer them. Actually the best machine is the one you really learn to use. It takes time to learn the signals. Yes my White's has a display but I listen more for the tones than watch the display. Some machines have a lot of bells and whistles and some are plain and do the same job. Which ever you choose have fun and really get to know the machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outlaw.JPG For a first detector either the Vaquero or Outlaw are excellent choices. They don't have displays that you can't use anyway, but they carry Tesoro's life time warranty. I don't recommend buying used for a first detector because it could be "acting funny" and you wouldn't know it not having much experience. If you really want to get the detector wet, check out the Tiger Shark and it can be used on land.

069.gif

Last edited:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
First, Welcome to TreasureNet and to the great hobby/obsession of Metal Detecting. Second, while White's is a great company and has great products. Each of us has our own preferences detector companies. Mine is Tesoro. I have two Tesoro and love them. My first detector is the Tesoro Compadre. Great little machine for less than $200. Don't let the price fool you. It does not have a lot of bells and whistles, but it does an awesome job. Some of my best finds have been with the Compadre. Check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Hope it helped and glad to have you with us.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would also add to buy your new detector from a dealer. A dealer will teach you how to operate it correctly & answer your questions about it. You may not get this type of service if you buy it from an individual. Hope it helps.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Ace 250...excellent starter machine....AT Pro is other excellent choice

If you have metal detected before and already know you will enjoy it..and plan on doing it a lot.....then spend the extra money and get the AT Pro.

If you never went before..then I suggest the Ace 250.....that way if you get frustrated and not like detecting...at least you didn't spend a lot of money....then again you can always post it on ebay and hope you get you money back.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't want a typical Whites if your going in water a lot, with Whites you kinda either get a land detector or a water detector. The E series Whites are great on land but are not waterproof! The Beachmaster & Surf PI DF are good for water detecting but are more than your budget.

The AT Pro is a can't miss for the money IMO, & I own a Whites so what's that say?

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same question almost. I have never owned a MD and am in the market for a new one and have it finally narrowed it down to two different brands. As I've done a lot of research and raeding and asking a lot of what some may call "dumb questions", I decided to only spend about $300 on my first MD and am torn between the Garrett 350 or the Teknetic 4000. The Garrett 350 comes with headphones and the Tek 4000 comes with headphones, and a pin pointer. I am leaning towards the Garrett 350 due to the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing but after viewing instructional videos and reading material, the Garrett 350 seemes to be the best one for me out of the two of them. Anyone care to chime in with an opinion on this pleas feel free. I am new to MDing and need all the help I can get..... Thanks for listening and good hunting to all..

OP
OP
J

J.D.

Greenie
Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great reply, I have noticed that everyone has a favorite, I think I'll stick with the Pro and learn and have fun

OP
OP
J

J.D.

Greenie
Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, can only say that everyone is talking about the Ace 250 and the Pro AT, not much about the 350, good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions