Newbie with a question

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Drop the sensitivity down a notch or two if you are hunting at full sens... I think you are experencing a little falsing. This can occur when you swing too fast, raise the coil during the sweep, hit a wet weed... Lots of reasons. Slow down and make your swing from side to side take about 3 or 4 seconds. Keep the coil as level as possible during the entire swing. Listen for the faint tones in Pro mode. Slowing down makes that easier.

Also, once you THINK you have a good target, approach it from another angle, (90 degrees) and see if you get a signal, if so there is probably something there.

Once you have found a target with the AT Pro, if it's fairly shallow, you can take the ProPointer, turn it on and put the tip to the ground and try to locate the target before you dig to help you recover it quicker with less digging. The ProPointer has a range of about 2" on a coin.

ALL OF THE ABOVE COMES FROM ALMOST 2 YEARS EXPERENCE WITH THE AT-PRO & ProPointer.

Last edited:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpointer only goes into the ground a short distance. If your solid hit is much more than 2", then the pinpointer will not pick it up. And, you have to
dig to know how deep it is, unless you have a meter that shows how deep. So, normally, I would be glad if the detector hit something, but I couldn't pick
it up with the pinpointer.....it would indicate a deeper target.
Keep practicing.....plant a target garden, with coins at different depths. See what the depth is when you can still get a good sound on the detector, but lose
it on the pinpointer. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread