Tesoro Cibola

S

seismo

UPS just dropped mine off yesterday. 'twas too dark to get much use out of it by the time I get home but I did get a chance to at least put it together.
I'm pretty much a novice at detecting, although I have had another Tesoro and a RadioShack(Bounty Hunter) in the past.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough detecting experience to provide any sort of useful review.
Is there anything you'd like me to test out for you?
I'd be glad to do so and report back.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Just the kind of unbaised testimony that I'm looking for!!!!!!? I would be interested in anything and everything that you like and dislike about it compared to the other machines that you've used.? I'm looking at purchasing a back up for my Cortez so any info would be appreciated.? Good luck with it, let us know how you do. It is a good looking machine.

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
I perosnally haven't had a chance to swing the Cibola yet. I do have a number of customers that have. They are finding it deeper then their Umax machines, the lightweight is still there, Simple to use & the pinpoint button most like a lot. I haven't heard any downside feedback from the ones purchased from me yet.

Doug-Iowa
DJs Detectors

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks Doug. I have an older umax and depth was/is an issue.

What's the retail number on them? Private message would be OK if you don't want to put it here.

S

seismo

Well, I took the Cibola for a spin yesterday and am quite pleased so far.
A little backtracking.... On New Year's eve I was building a campfire outside (Here in GA, we've had a relatively mild winter so far). I have a lot of wooded areas on my property so I was going all over the place getting limbs and small fallen trees to get the fire going. Once she was a ablaze, I sat down with a beverage (Dale's Pale Ale - if you haven't tried it, go get one now!), looked down at my hand and noticed that my wedding ring was missing.
So began the quest of buying a metal detector.
I have no idea where I lost the ring. So, yesterday I got the detector out in the yard and detected for a number of hours. I found some old barb-wire but no luck on the gold ring yet.
The detector is light enough to swing for hours and feels very comfortable - although, to protect the foam-rubber handle I was thinking about going to a sporting goods shop and getting a leather wrap - you know the kind they use for baseball bats - and wrap it over my foam handle.
Anyways, one thing I don't understand (which may very well be normal) is in the discrimination mode.
In the pics here:
http://www.tesoro.com/Cibola.html
close up here:
http://www.tesoro.com/images/Cibola Face_Web.jpg

you'll see the discrimation level knob in the lower right corner. It starts at Min, goes to Iron, then nickel, tab, and finally to max.
According to the manual, gold and nickel have an overlap in discrimation mode.
However, I find that gold is discrimated out just above the iron setting. I used my wife's ring to test this out so I could make sure I wasn't discriminating out the gold ring I was looking for.
Anyway, that's just something I don't really understand but will continue to experiment.
Personally, I haven't seen where pinpoint is of any real value to me. It gives you a low-to-high pitch beep depending on how close you are to your find. I feel like I can pinpoint just as well by swinging the detector back and forth and zeroing in on the center. Again, that's something I'll experiment with and see if I can find a use for it.
So far, though, I'm quite pleased. I'll be even more pleased once I find my ring.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Hey Seismo, sorry to hear about your ring.? You've made a wise investment in your attempt to find it!? You'll find stuff worth more than the ring if you stick with it, although I realize you can't replace the sentimental value.? Your idea of protecting the grip is a very good one.? I have used plain ole black electrical tape on mine but the grip has to be absolutely clean for it to stick.? Let me know how the leather wrap goes, that may be a better solution than tape.?

When I was a beginner, the pinpoint really helped me out.? It still helps some when I detect something very small.? I use that mode when I have several "hits' in the same small area, helps me narrow down the targets without digging a great big hole.? You are lucky that you have the ability to "see" your target thru your detector, believe me, I couldn't do it for a long time!?

The gold issue is a tough one.? That's why a lot of folks advise to dig everything.? I've found that the better gold (high kt rating) will discriminate out sooner than lesser kt ratings.? I buried two different gold rings in my test bed, one of which was my gold wedding band!? (I'm divorced).? My wedding band was a cheapo and I can go above nickel before I eliminate it with my Cortez.? The better ring will get choppy just above the foil setting (very low on my machine) but it still has that sweet, soft signal that experience will eventually bring to you and tell you to DIG!? Another thing to consider is the halo effect, things in the ground will discriminate out different than air testing.? But, if you just lost your ring, halo won't be an issue.? If I lost the ring in the woods and there weren't many metal targets to contend with, I would search for it in all metal mode or if I didn't feel like messing with the ground balance, I'd crank that discrimination knob to minimum.?

Let us know if you find the ring and how you do in general.? Thank you for the feedback on the Cibola.? I just ordered one from DJ's Detectors in Iowa (www.djsdetectors.com).? Hope I am as pleased with it as you.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note to new users..
Gold discriminates out depending on size not on type of gold.
the bigger a piece of gold is the higher on the discrim level you will pick it up.
a very small gold ring disappears very close to iron, while a large class ring will not
dissapear until you reach the zinc/screwcap/Indianhead penny range..
I hope this clarifies your confussion a bit..
example is on my DFX with a meter, small gold rings read anywhere from 7-10 mediam gold rings
come in between 18-30 large gold rings (class rings) come in around 55-65 on the scale.
Hope this helps

F

fahrenheit

Hey 1320. What about the Umax that you had? I was thinking of buying the Silver Umax for a gift and a Conquistador Umax for myself.

Are you saying that these two machines do not have good depth?

Now I am considering getting the new Cibola instead of the Conquistador because there are a lot of good posts and comments the Cibola for the ease of use and great depth. That sounds very good for a newbie like me!

Seismo,

How is the setting and the configurations on the Cibola? Is easy to understand and use on the field as it described: ?all-purpose stressing on ease of use for a beginner but not a beginner machine?.

yes, keep us posted.

Fahrenheit

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I really like the Umax's, I have three of them. I also have a Cortez and it blows the Umax away in regards to depth. Just ordered a Cibola...it will be interesting to compare it to the others. If the Cibola is similiar to the Umax, it will be a very easy and straight forward machine to operate....love those Tesoro's!

S

seismo

fahrenheit said:
How is the setting and the configurations on the Cibola? Is easy to understand and use on the field as it described: ?all-purpose stressing on ease of use for a beginner but not a beginner machine?.
At first it was a little confusing but once I really sat down and read the manual, the settings seem pretty straightforward.
I'm still not 100% clear on the threshold knob and what it can do for me but it'll probably be more clear once I get out and use the detector more.

F

fahrenheit

On the Cibola, what does that Threshold knob do? Does it perform coincide with another feature?

What about the PinPoint red button? where did the 'All Metal' toggle switch go? The same big red button use for pinpointing and all metal button?

And the Descriminate Level: setting to Min has a better chance of finding gold because Gold has about the same sound frequency as Iron and or pull tabs?? So does it mean that when you turn to Iron. It will find iron, jewelries, coins and relics?

And when you turn the Discriminate Tab to Nickel 5cents. It will not pick up iron or pull tabs? Only 5cents nickel and above??

And what happened if you turn the Discriminate Level to the Max. Does it block out coins and jewelry? is that include copper pennies?

And the Sensitivity knob. When do you use that knob? Is it use to balance out the maximum depth compare to ground mineralization to search for your target?

sorry....

I am so new at all the features and the terms... ;D

fahrenheit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread