need advise

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
coinhunter1313 said:
What metal detector should i buy if looking for silver coins in central texas?
what do yal think of f2, garrette 350, vipor trident?

Yes.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from the Viper. Any of the detectors from Garrett, Tesoro, White's or Minelab would be good. Try to get one with ground balance. The F2 doesn't have GB.

OP
OP
C

coinhunter1313

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks sandman ,
could you explain the point of ground balance?
so which one of these do you prefer minelab x terra 305,teroso cibola,f4, whites coin master pro?
On another note which of these have the best depth reading? (how do i figure it out ) Or does it really just depend on conditions ?

OP
OP
C

coinhunter1313

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you think about buying used metal detectors? I got on ebay, saw a lot of older white metal detectors going for cheap any input on buying used?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy from our classifieds here before eBay....

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance "reads" the ground condition and allows the detector to better see through it. When detecting if not properly ground balanced you can get a lot of false signals from elements in the ground itself. For higher mineral content a DD coil is typically better, so that would be another thing to consider when making a decision. But as Sandman said any of the major brands make machines that are both suitable and efficient for the beginner. Maybe look under the "Your Location" forum and ask around to see what others have liked or not liked in your specific area.

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
I have the coinmaster pro for about a month or so now. I find coins all the time, no silver yet but I bought it as a beginer md. But I'm more interested in CW relics. I've found pennies 5 an 6" deep. It doesn't have ground balance, I live in Va. and don't think it has been a problem yet. Deciding which md. To buy is very confusing, it was for me. I haven't found that bullet or relic yet and still wonder if it will get the job done but I'm having a blast with it. GOOD LUCK

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U have to waste money to be charter member to buy from the classified

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any metal detector will find silver coins if there is silver coins there to find that all depends on several factors though like soil condition age of the area so on and so on i would suggest looking into a garrett or fisher they are very easy to use and have pretty good depth on them and if those dont work for you there is always an e-trac it all depends on how much you want to spend

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett AT Pro. I pulled 9 silver coins with it in August and 27 silver coins in September. It's more of where you are detecting at than the detector itself. In all honesty only a few of my silvers were a result of using this particular detector with the small DD coil. If you want older coins you have to be hunting where they are likely to be found. Going to a modern park is not the best choice. Look for areas where older homes, buildings, sidewalks are being torn down. These spots are likely to be places where no one has detected before and where the good stuff is.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
No.....no your all wrong. The Whites V3i is the best one to use. That's the one I own and that's why it's the best.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm said:
No.....no your all wrong. The Whites V3i is the best one to use. That's the one I own and that's why it's the best.

Well if ticm says its the best then it must be

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm said:

Lmao!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks sandman ,
could you explain the point of ground balance?
so which one of these do you prefer minelab x terra 305,teroso cibola,f4, whites coin master pro?
On another note which of these have the best depth reading? (how do i figure it out ) Or does it really just depend on conditions ?

Basically Ground Balance calibrates the MD so that it doesn't see the mineralization in the soil. With the machine not spending time on the false signals this can cause, and static, you'll get smoother operation and better signals.

One thing to look into before buying a used machine is to make sure it's still supported by the factory. If not and the machine breaks down, then you couldn't get it repaired.

As many people buy MD's and then give it up after they find out how much work it is, and after how much trash you'll dig, relegate the machine to the back of the closet. So there are great bargains to be had. In fact I saw a Whites D6000 (I'm pretty sure that's the right model) being pawned and it looked like it had never seen dirt.

With the invention of the net, most manuals for any machine you'd be looking at is likely to be online. That's great information to read beforehand.

If you have a dealer nearby, or within reasonable driving distance, give them a visit. You'll be able to look at new and used machines and see which one fits you. And by dealer, I don't mean a box store that has one section dedicated to md"s.

If buying new give serious consideration to Tesoro...the lifetime warranty is unbeatable. (Yes, I love my Tesoro.)

As Sandman said stick with the major brands and you should be happy. If you budget allows it go with at least a mid-level machine or higher.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coinhunter1313,

Where ya at in central TX? Maybe we can collaborate and/or hunt?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions