Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Detecting myths

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9897 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Have found 8 diamond rings and 4 diamond earrings so far and 50 gold and silver rings, couple hundred in silver coins and over $850 in clad coins, 5 watches including nice Fossil waterproof watch and lots of other items as well.

The joke is on the ones laughing or making snide remarks...

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwestern America
    Garrett Ace 250
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HUNTER12 View Post
    . I had a teenager come up to me one day and say he seeded the ground with about a dollars worth of pennies. Him and his buddies thought it was cute to see me picking up the pennies and why I did a stupid hobby like metal detecting. I told them I was a dollar richer and they were a dollar poorer.
    Seems like they were less intelligent by dropping coins than you were by picking them up! They can seed the ground around me anytime...LoL

cheers,
    cc

us
    Apr 2012
    The Jersey Shore
    Ace350/ATpro/Excalibur1000/ Eldorado/BandidoII uMax/Silver Sabre uMax/Compadre/ Garrett Pro-Pointer/Lesche digger model 75/ RTG stainless Beachmaster scoop/Stealth S3i Sugarsand Scoop
    152 times
    Hey, at one time black socks and sandals was considered nerdy.
    Now I see a lot of the younger crowd sporting that style.
    I guess sometime between then and now it became cool.

I was also a bit reluctant to mention to others or go out in public detecting when I first started.
    Now I don't really care what others think. It is a hobby that makes me happy so that is what I do.
    I tell my friends, "It's like fishing, except when I get the big one it is worth $100's of dollars instead of a few bucks."
    That usually leaves them thinking.
    Last edited by Ace350; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
    One must be smarter than the equipment they are working with!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9897 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace350 View Post
    Hey, at one time black socks and sandals was considered nerdy.
    Now I see a lot of the younger crowd sporting that style.
    I guess sometime between then and now it became cool.

I was also a bit reluctant to mention to others or go out in public detecting when I first started.
    Now I don't really care what others think. It is a hobby that makes me happy so that is what I do.
    I tell my friends, "It's like fishing, except when I get the big one it is worth $100's of dollars instead of a few bucks."
    That usually leaves them thinking.
    Still not cool, but miles above pants falling off their butt.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    250 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    People who make fun or heckle are simply jealous as they probably don't have any hobbies other than butt scratching and TV watching. They feel the need to put people like ourselves down as we are experiencing a type of fun and satisfaction in life that they will ever feel.

I have several hobbies other than MDing; such as antique radio restoration, collecting old books and other antiquities, and geocaching to name a few. I've noticed over the years that people with hobbies tend to lead much happier lives and live longer. In fact some of the oldest living people who I have ever met, including my 92 year old friend, are all very active in various hobbies that we share.

I personally never get bored. I can wake up on a Saturday morning, MD all morning, and work in my shop all afternoon. If I have a stressful day at work, I usually go home, grab the detector, and hit a park. I always come home feeling great
    PullTabPete likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1304 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Personally, I don't care what a person with pink hair, tats up the wazzooo, multiple piercings, and pants around their knees thinks of my hobby or how I look. That goes for the uptight rich snobs too. Pointing out the hypocracy doesn't seem to do any good. If others think my hobby is nerdy or beneath them, fine, more things for me to find.

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, XP DEUS, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    422 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petro88 View Post
    Does anyone know why MD's are looked at like they are some type of weirdo. Everyone I've told about my new hobby make fun of me. I know they won't be laughing when I find my first gold or silver.
    I experienced the same reaction. Then I found my son's lost (9 years) wedding ring, another relative's lost (4 years) engagement ring, and lots of relics. I recently found a coin worth over $100. They no longer laugh, but I do a lot of smiling.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Subscribe to my YouTube channel.

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

Oct 2012
    2 times
    Ya I don't care what people say. I love it (md). I was just curious why people think is weird.

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Dayton
    Tesoro Outlaw
    132 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Petro88
    Ya I don't care what people say. I love it (md). I was just curious why people think is weird.
    Well for what it is worth here"s my take... It"s considered "weird" because it is not well understood by most people; it is generally a solo activity; and let's face it we look a bit odd waving a disc over the ground, digging holes and filling them back in. Once people understand what we're doing and why it's not as weird but I don't think it's going to become a mainstream activity.

us
    What a long strange trip its been..

Jan 2012
    Etrac
    584 times
    People always fear what they don't understand

Oct 2012
    2 times
    Shh! I think it's better we not tell anyone how great it is. If it becomes mainstream I'll never find my first gold or silver. I just started 3 weeks ago

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6529 times
    I can't say I've ever been laughed at by anyone who knows me, unless it was behind my back.
    which doesn't count as it's like a tree falling in the woods.

Like others have said, when you find something cool & valuable most realize it beats golf
    unless of course golf is your thing.

I'm sure everyone eventually gets the strangers, light hearted "you looking for Treasure ?" I just say "Looking" with a smile
    or "Find any Gold ? " which "yep" or "not today yet"just gets a friendly smile.

and of course the occasional kid laughing to impress their friends doesn't count unless you
    were born an adult & are a Newbie to how
    kids minds work when they see something new
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Oct 24, 2012 at 03:37 AM.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2291 times
    I remember something from an old physiology course. It was mentioned that people with a low self image have a tendency to bring other people down to raise their own self Name:  hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  43.9 KBimage. Frank
    Keppy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links