Metal Detector for 12 year old boy

slappy2012

Nov 1, 2012
Scranton, PA
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son will be 12 this weekend, and has expressed interest in a metal detector. He, like myself, is in to coins, history (esp civil war). Being anti-video game, I am thrilled that he has picked this as a potential new hobby...at least until Nintendo comes out with a virtual-reality version of metal detecting...

AAAAnyways, I know absolutely nothing about this topic. I don't want to buy him a piece of crap that will reveal nothing but pop-tops and soda caps. However, I don't want to break the bank for something that could potentially sit in the corner.

I'm looking for an above average starter model. 2-400$ish, wouldn't mind used if in good condition and could sneak up in quality that way. I know there are a million right answers for this, so let me say we would be mostly in fields or (dry) beach conditions looking for coins, civil war "relic-y" kind of things...I heard Gettysburg is a great place to look! just kidding. Going by my kid, I don't think we need ground penetrating radar, as he wouldn't dig a two foot deep hole if you guaranteed him gold bullion at the bottom.

So any thoughts on this? Anyone else that had a kid get in to metal detecting first and had to go this route?

Any and all thoughts appreciated....

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Compadre is a great starter detector. Price is around $160, American made, with a lifetime warranty. The only brand with a lifetime warrenty. Easy to use and really finds the goodies. I used one for a year before getting a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. My daughter now uses the Compadre and usually finds more good stuff than me. In the last 2 months, she has at least 7 silver rings and several other pieces of silver and has hunted only 8 or 9 times. Get the Compadre and a Garrett Propointer for around $125, a good digger and stand back! Good Luck, steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Again, Forgot to mention that you can resell it for most of what you pay for it if he decides its not his thing.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recomend the Coinmaster products from Whites. The basic is $179, the Pro is $279 and the GT is $399. My boys like playing with the Coinmaster Pro because it has tone ID and that makes it fun to dig quarters.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For 12 yrs old in this day in age i'd suggest Garretts ACE 250. Enough buttons to help find what you want and a simple screen to show you what could be under the coil. I started out with it and still have it. Gave it to my father who is not (to be nice) techy orianted but he's learning and having fun. As long as you don't do much wet salt water beach you'll do fine. If you do get one get headphones with volume control. (the 250 doesn't have one) I've found silver rings ,wheat's ,lotsa clad,Indian head. So I know you'll do well.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I would suggest the Garrett Ace 250 as well. Great starter machine with room to move up. This is what I started with and it's an amazing machine and you can find them used rather cheap. I bought mine of Craigslist for $150

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
My 11 year old uses a Fisher F2 and myself a Tesoro Compadre[Not just a machine for the kids] both are great machines.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked my ACE 250 more than my Compadre. The Tesoro sound was really loud and annoying. I could tell so much more with my Ace.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the basic Coinmaster. Good machine, lightweight. I bought this one because I got a great deal on it and I prefer the way White's machines are set up. However, from all that I've heard, the Ace 250 or 350 are also excellent machines. Don't know much about the Fisher F2 except that it, too, is a very lightweight machine.

Best advice I can give - take your son to a store that sells multiple manufacturers of MDs. Have him try them out. He may be more comfortable with one than the other. Also, not all machines come with headphones (I believe the Ace series does), so that can be an added expense. (I actually use stereo "walkman" type phones from the Dollar Store and they work great with my Coinmaster.) Just my 2 cents....

Glad to see a young person joining the ranks! Good-bye video games! Hello interesting (and possibly valuable) finds!

Wish your son a very Happy Birthday! Good luck with your choice.

HH,
Anita

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First rule of metal detecting...you will dig up tons of pull-tabs, can slaw, and other junk. That's especially true if you want to find gold. Many relics are iron, which is below the pull-tab area, so unless you use notch discrimination, you'll still be pulling them up.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Tesoro machines. They pinpoint like a dream and yes I can tell things about the target just by the sound. Plus for what you get, they are a great value for the price. Plus that life-time warranty is incredible. If he/you really want a display machine, I'd probably go with the F2 as it has VDI (visual display indicator) numbers. I believe for the F2 that ranges from 0 to 99...which is more information than the dozen or less indicators you have on other entry level display machines.

I'm very open about the fact that after two Garrett Machines that I don't like them. This doesn't mean they are bad machines. In fact they have many fans. For me though the fact the displays jump all over the place and the tones do the same, it just drives me crazy. Plus I've never liked their accuracy or how they pinpoint.

All the big brands/most popular brands...Tesoro, Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Technetics, and Fishers make really good machines. Remember to get a pin pointer along with the detector.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 and Garrett pro pointer.

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that last post I had alitle mishap, I got "hooked" with the bounty hunter tracker 4 which is good for finding clad in playground chips and stuff but I've never got any silver with it, I upgraded to the garret ace 350 and it took me awhile but I found about 5 whet pennies and a silver dime with it. I need to get out to more historic places more often though. It's a great hobby :)

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your son may also be interested in looking around the coinstar machines and on the top. And counter part and reject tray, these baby's reject the silver people dump into them:) I have found silver Roosies a also cool foreign coins and i don't get near them that often:) o I also found a steel wheat cent

OP
OP
S

slappy2012

Nov 1, 2012
Scranton, PA
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, we ended up getting him the Garrett 250 based on the first few posts and some research. A tad over 200 on Amazon. He was definitely excited. I an going to get him on this website, as i think once he actually sees the stuff people are finding, he is more likely to stick with it.

I already have him searching change for old silver coins, and he gets so pumped finding a "real" quarter/etc we have already started collecting those.

With Christmas around the corner, we plan on getting him the headphones and pointer, as well as some books (metal detecting for dummies?). Not sure how gung ho he will be doing this in cold weather, but by the time spring rolls around he should be a pro, info wise.

OP
OP
S

slappy2012

Nov 1, 2012
Scranton, PA
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another question i have...how do you find places to go? I know parks etc usually have policies against digging...private property is kind of a pain getting permission with landowners...where are some good general places to go without any legal hassels?

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have an old church near you you can ask to detect there, I suggest practicing at home first to get the hang of covering your hole properly, also if you have a treasure hunting club near you could join. The one im in has seeded hunts where they burry stuff and they have a group of detectors looking for it those are fun:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions