cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same decision to make a while back and researched both detectors for about 6 months along with the new CTX3030. I ended up getting the E-trac. Any of those 3 detectors is a fine choice but the concensus seemed to be that the E-trac has a little shorter learning curve. If that's true, I'm glad I made the choice I did because I'm still finding tweaks I can make with this thing! I'm very happy with it so far but I still have only about 30 hours with it under my belt. I would probably have gotten the 3030 but it just didn't seem to have enough extra features over the E-trac to justify the extra $1000. I use and like White's machines very much also. They have excellent quality and customer service. Living close to them would give you an extra check mark in their column. If you choose the V3i, find someone local to help you with the initial techno-shock so you don't give up on it. Even with the E-trac it wouldn't hurt to have a mentor as it's quite different than the earlier White's machines. With the E-trac, I would recommend you read the owners' manual and the Andy Sabisch book at least twice. Then hit the field (or beach if you're close enough) with it and give it a test drive. Then read the books again after you've played with it a little. Experimenting and re-reading the books works for me.

OP
OP
JusRoc

JusRoc

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for the information Cudamark. When I pick one I will make sure to read the directions.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
The V3i is clearly the best tector because its the one I own.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't say bad things on the etrac since I don't have one to test but I can say good things on the v3i.
It's a great detector and if you search my other posts you might find out why I chose the v3i over any other detector.
Now in my personal opinion there is no wrong detector out there just bad users.
If you have whites headquarters near you I wouldn't even think about it, get a whites.

vmaxguy

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2012
West Seneca, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, F75 LTD
Whites 6000, 6000 DI Pro, XLT, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never owned the Minelabs...But love the depth I'm getting on my V3i...I thought my XLT was a hot machine till I got this one...Allows me to add custom programs from other users or build my own...My old spots are producing again...

smokengun45

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cudamark, I got the E-Trac today and I'v read my book I don't know if I'm going to be able to work this detector or not.And I have owned 3 White's but I just wanted a better detector.I wish I could find someone that lives close to me and wouldn't mind helping me out with it. I think I will love it once I can get the hang of it. Thanks and good hunting

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat, ill be getting a new machine in early febuary and i cant seem to make up my mind. i want something that hits the silver hard. i got alot of mineralization were i live and i would be hunting mostly wooded areas and field like territories. the only draw back i heard is that if you have a problem with the e-trac and have to send it in to get fixed i heard it will take forever because the company is in Australia, i don't know if that's true or not but i only get about 6 to 7 months to hunt up here in northern Michigan. so i was leaning towards the e trac but no i think i might get a higher end whites like the v3i or the dfx 300.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ Much of your dilemma is a matter of personal choice so I can't really help. I can tell you that you have some erroneous information. The company "minelab" USED to be based out of Australia. It no longer exists as it's own company. The name still exists, but it's a subsidiary of a larger conglomerate who moved all manufacturing to Malaysia. They have had US based marketing and repairs for many years, and have just moved into a brand new facility. I just had an Excalibur repaired and it took about 3 weeks, just before they moved. They USED to have horrible customer service from what I have heard, but my recent experience was very simple and easy. I didn't think the turn around time was bad either.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the same boat, ill be getting a new machine in early febuary and i cant seem to make up my mind. i want something that hits the silver hard. i got alot of mineralization were i live and i would be hunting mostly wooded areas and field like territories. the only draw back i heard is that if you have a problem with the e-trac and have to send it in to get fixed i heard it will take forever because the company is in Australia, i don't know if that's true or not but i only get about 6 to 7 months to hunt up here in northern Michigan. so i was leaning towards the e trac but no i think i might get a higher end whites like the v3i or the dfx 300.

In high mineralized soil the whites is better, apparently the minelabs isn't so friendly in those type is situations.

trol

Greenie
Aug 24, 2012
smokengun45 said:
Hey Cudamark, I got the E-Trac today and I'v read my book I don't know if I'm going to be able to work this detector or not.And I have owned 3 White's but I just wanted a better detector.I wish I could find someone that lives close to me and wouldn't mind helping me out with it. I think I will love it once I can get the hang of it. Thanks and good hunting

Look for video on youtube.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? If you're in SoCal, I can help with a hand's-on lesson. Otherwise, maybe someone here is in your area that can do the same. Alternating between hunting and reading the books is another way to learn it. Grab a handful of different targets and see what each one reads in the different modes. Hunting at a beach where there are tons of targets of various kinds that are easy to recover really helped me. Hours of hunting with the machine is the key to learning what it has to say.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget to consider the XP Deus. I absolutely love mine. I haven't detected next to anyone using a V3i yet, but I can keep up with the e-Trac just fine. I did notice the e-Trac had a better chance of positively identifying silver at all depths, but the Deus still read the target just as deep. The Deus, from my experience, has a much faster recovery speed and superior target separation in trash filled or iron filled areas. However, in areas with relatively little trash, I don't think my Deus would pick up the really deep silver that the e-Trac sucks up. I might hear a little blip on a 12" dime, but the e-Trac may get a better read on it. I know one thing for sure, my swingin' arm never gets tired with a machine weighing in at 2lbs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread