Lets hear some opinions for best detector to use in fields with extremely high iron

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt farm fields where old homesteads once stood, all spring before planting and in the fall after the harvest. Been using the etrac for a lil over 3 yrs now and have been real sucessful. But I am all ears to peoples opinions. What detector recovers fastest in super heavy iron, places where houses were tore down and your getting 10-12 iron hits per swing.

I use the 6x8 SEF coil and always use TTF while in the fields, got some awesome finds for sure, but in the back of my mind, just curious if I am missing much that a faster detector might get.....ok lets here those opinions

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Goes4ever said:
I hunt farm fields where old homesteads once stood, all spring before planting and in the fall after the harvest. Been using the etrac for a lil over 3 yrs now and have been real sucessful. But I am all ears to peoples opinions. What detector recovers fastest in super heavy iron, places where houses were tore down and your getting 10-12 iron hits per swing.

I use the 6x8 SEF coil and always use TTF while in the fields, got some awesome finds for sure, but in the back of my mind, just curious if I am missing much that a faster detector might get.....ok lets here those opinions

What do you mean by "faster detector"? Are you talking about sweep speed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Faster recovery between iron hits

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Goes4ever said:

Oh, the V3i has a recovery delay setting but that may differ from what you use. kind of hard to compare one to the other.

Last edited:

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus or one or two other XP detectors are the best at what you describe. The FBS machines are deeper in my dirt. But the Deus w/ the large coil is no slouch. I currently own the E Trac and CTX. I traded the Deus w/ both coils to get the CTX. I am very new to the CTX so I can not offer a true opinion vs the E Trac. I expect the CTX to much better in the iron. In the small time I hunted with the CTX it seemed to be. But there is no doubt about the Deus vs the E trac. The Deus will unmask coins the E trac will never see. And it isn't even close. There is a time for raw power which the E Trac has. Like hunting through a couple inches of leaves. But there is a time for speed. And unless you have hunted with an XP detector you just don't realize how much you are missing. I got the CTX to try. Especially at the beach. But If I don't like it I will have another Deus.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
goodmore said:
The Deus or one or two other XP detectors are the best at what you describe. The FBS machines are deeper in my dirt. But the Deus w/ the large coil is no slouch. I currently own the E Trac and CTX. I traded the Deus w/ both coils to get the CTX. I am very new to the CTX so I can not offer a true opinion vs the E Trac. I expect the CTX to much better in the iron. In the small time I hunted with the CTX it seemed to be. But there is no doubt about the Deus vs the E trac. The Deus will unmask coins the E trac will never see. And it isn't even close. There is a time for raw power which the E Trac has. Like hunting through a couple inches of leaves. But there is a time for speed. And unless you have hunted with an XP detector you just don't realize how much you are missing. I got the CTX to try. Especially at the beach. But If I don't like it I will have another Deus.

Yes yours is the best of all.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/brands/321662-especially-newbies-detector.html

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 10-12 iron swings per swing, it just sounds like you're hunting in a junk yard. :tongue3:

There's always a way around these types of problems, you remove the problem itself. Hop in a tractor with a til and rip up the land. Next, attach a giant magnet to the tractor and grab as much of that garbage as you can.

Then try and re-hunt the area in peace :icon_thumright:

No need to look for another detector

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
With 10-12 iron swings per swing, it just sounds like you're hunting in a junk yard. :tongue3:

There's always a way around these types of problems, you remove the problem itself. Hop in a tractor with a til and rip up the land. Next, attach a giant magnet to the tractor and grab as much of that garbage as you can.

Then try and re-hunt the area in peace :icon_thumright:

No need to look for another detector

Don't let any detector dealers hear about this post.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hey goes4ever, don't forget that faster recovery is only one aspect of better-ability in nail & iron strewn areas. Yes that helps, but another big factor is a machines ability to "average" well. What I mean by that is, if the two targets are exactly mixed (no space between them, like the nail is *over* the coin), then "separation" (which is a function of target speed recovery) becomes a mute point. There is no "space" between them, to "separate", to begin with. In that case, you want a machine that also "averages" well. For example: Some machines tend to "see" the target that is on the top, and will mask the item that is below. So for example: the nail over the coin will simply be knocked out as iron, since that is "on top". While other machines will average the two better, and give you a reading somewhere in-between the two TID's. The factor of space between the targets also plays into this (or whether the targets are "touching" or not, etc...).

This is not only true, for example, of iron vs conductors, but also low conductors vs high conductors. One time I was working under some grandstands bleachers being demolished, where it was just an ocean of tabs and aluminum. But there was a lot of silver under there too (d/t the grandstands dated to the 1920s). I had a mere few days window of time to harvest as much as I could, because they were going to quickly be bringing in fill-dirt. So it did not behoove me to "be a hero" and try to get nickels (and "dig all"). I had to get as much silver as I could, before my time ran out. I learned that some machines might have fast recovery, yet the truth was, there was simply a lot of the silver that was masked (ie. completely covered over the exact top) of the silver, since, of course, tabs came out in the mid 1960s, whilst silver pre-dated that. So I found that by using a 2-filter machine like the Tesoro silver sabre, that I could set it to where round tabs just BARELY got nixed out (still gave a 1-way crackle). Yet putting a silver dime under a tab or two was enough to easily push the signal up to where I'd get it.

The same is true for putting a nail right over the top of some of these "fast recovery" machines. They will STILL null d/t the nail. But using various 2-filter machines (like various tesoros and the Whites Classics series), you will get a positive conductive beep, in that same test (assuming you have not cranked the disc. up too high).

However, needless to say, those 2-filter machines lack in the depth dept, lack in minerals, lack in TID bells & whistles, etc....

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT does pretty darn good in high iron area's of coarse no detector is going to do good if its just full of iron or other trash. HH

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT series (AT Pro and AT Gold) are both very fast recovery speed. And they both have the Hi-Resolution iron discrimination. I've worked areas it was so much iron pieces--maybe ten or more pieces in a square foot--it was impossible to ground balance because there was no clean ground anywhere. Someone else had a different brand and he was looking for another machine after that.

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G4E, - I am guessing that you might have your area picked clean by now,(LoL ) And your thinking of double checkin with some other detector. The E-trac is the best for picking through the Iorn / trash. The Sov Gt is good also, as deep or slightly deeper. I find myself using my Sov Gt about as much as the E-trac. The only thing that gives deeper results would be the Pi Detectors . See If you could borrow someones GPX 3500 ,4000, or 5000 for a month or so. It takes about that long to understand the toneage of the Pi's . Then u should be able to get the goodies if there are any left. Extractor

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Goes4ever I can't give you any advice, but I have a story. I have been cleaning out a main area of an old crown cap rusty beer can iron infested foil/pull tab you name it trash park, I am using the atpro for my project. I have actually stuffed three years of digging crap into one week. I am forcing myself to dig everything, I am trying to see if I can find "masked" deep goods. It's a great machine for the project, it has very good response at the center of the coil, you do not need to use the pp button on this machine. Period. Very good iron audio stability, you know the target is iron immediately, not popping into the the higher tones, and it is quick, you can cover ground very quickly with this machine. I have easily pulled two thousand targets in the last week, two thirds of them aluminum. My main goal is to find a gold something or other. I would be happy with another indian cent. I got about 300 rusty crowns, and as many pull tabs, not to mention every bit of foil in there. I have not found much, a few nickels, one buffalo, some cheap bling, a sterling earing, a gold plated cheapy ring, an indian cent, a couple wheats, and a pile of crap that would choke Godzilla. Clearly, the Explorer and Etrac guys got in there already and pulled out everything good.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
gleaner1 said:
Goes4ever I can't give you any advice, but I have a story. I have been cleaning out a main area of an old crown cap rusty beer can iron infested foil/pull tab you name it trash park, I am using the atpro for my project. I have actually stuffed three years of digging crap into one week. I am forcing myself to dig everything, I am trying to see if I can find "masked" deep goods. It's a great machine for the project, it has very good response at the center of the coil, you do not need to use the pp button on this machine. Period. Very good iron audio stability, you know the target is iron immediately, not popping into the the higher tones, and it is quick, you can cover ground very quickly with this machine. I have easily pulled two thousand targets in the last week, two thirds of them aluminum. My main goal is to find a gold something or other. I would be happy with another indian cent. I got about 300 rusty crowns, and as many pull tabs, not to mention every bit of foil in there. I have not found much, a few nickels, one buffalo, some cheap bling, a sterling earing, a gold plated cheapy ring, an indian cent, a couple wheats, and a pile of crap that would choke Godzilla. Clearly, the Explorer and Etrac guys got in there already and pulled out everything good.

Clearly, oh so very clearly.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the end of the day opinions won't matter much because people have a very wide variety of ways they hunt and some detectors will be better suited than others for individual taste, and that's even if a particular unit is not thought of as being quite as good in iron. Being a self proclaimed successful Minelab user you should know that recovery speed is not everything, otherwise you would not have the success you do because Minelabs are definitely not among the fastest when it comes to recovery, but they are among the best hunting in iron. That's because they work a different way, and have to be used a different way to get the most out of them, and that is why I said starting off that opinions don't really matter. I've showed many a detector a masked target in iron that they could not see, and in each case I was using my much slower Explorer.... and wasn't even using the "fast" setting. (Not that I believe that makes much difference - sort of like saying the E-trac is fast simply because it probably has that setting locked in)

It's impossible to say if a faster detector would get you more because we have absolutely nothing to go by. I actually just read the end of your post, so am now adding to mine, and will say I think everyone always has at least a little doubt if they're getting as much as they could. Those that don't have any doubt I'm pretty sure are the same ones who miss lots because they can have more confidence then brains. It's like the people that say no coins are deeper then 6" because their detector only seen coins at a max depth of 6". :) As for hunting in iron with an Eplorer/E-trac the wiggle is the way to go, and from many angles. As I always say I never change my settings either because when you're extremely used to one setting it puts you in the zone and things make a whole lot of sense, even the extremely subtle things. Detectors that are faster also tend to like iron better and for me that would be a step backwards.

Last edited:

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used Minelabs and they null in iron patches. The T2 SE does not null. No missed targets. I have experience with MANY different machines and the T2 SE finds stuff better than any machine I have used in iron patches and crap soil. Machines I have used...: Explorer 2, Omega 8000, AT Pro, F70, Garrett GTI 1500, White's Spectrum Eagle, etc... T2 SE kick their butts. Pulled a really nice 1851 LC yesterday that had an old square nail above it and beside it. I have found that certain machines tend to like iron when the sensitivity is cranked because people think that super high sensitivity equals depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread