Ace 250 bouncing signal question

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
LAst Thursday I took the day off and hit my ATV trails site again. Came up with only some square nails and nothing good. Wether I was never paying much attention before or what but this time for some reason I started taking a look at what the 250 was trying to tell me. This brought up my question. I was getting some bouncing signals and also the depth was changing constantly on some targets and other targets I was getting clear target id and the depth stayed constant. Naturally I don;t remember what the machine was telling me when I found 1800's coins and other goodies, but started paying attention now. I could not verify this with any goodies since I didn;t find anything, except the square nails...and they were bouncing signals if I remember.

So when the machine is giving me the target id all over the place and the depth is changing with each swing, should I dig it or continue on and wait for a good constant signal?

I was getting some good signals that just turned out to be either aluminum cans or beer can tops but I know those I just have to dig if they are giving a good signal. COuld be a coin, but could be a can. Just these funny bouncing signals I am questioning.

Thanks

Funkman

I am taking off this Friday and would like to be armed with a game plan as to wether to dig these stupid bouncing signals or just the constant ones.

Upvote 0

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
If the belltone is strong on both directions of sweep, reduce sensitivity until the ID and depth stabilize.

Sometimes a trash item shallow will fool the ID as a coin deep. If you go to pinpoint and detune (release and re-depress pinpoint while directly over the target) you can reduce the pinpoint area to a VERY small spot, and you can use that to detrmine the object's size (eliminating large shallow trash)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Also before digging, and I myself forget this sometimes.........sweep the coil and raise it to a good height.........a can will have that signal going a couple of feet off the ground.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Ricardo....yep found that one about lifting the coil and yeah a can will be still getting a signal pretty high off the ground

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have learned one of the reasons for placing duct tape over the display. Id displays are not fool proof and this bouncing is usually normal if you are using to much sensitivity. With only 9 discrimination bars, more objects fall between the bars as it were to be reported in many bars. The more expensive detectors can also have this occurring too. The best way to learn what the machine is telling you is to dig more of these "iffy" targets to learn the language of the detector.

HH,
Sandman

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Sandman said. The Ace is a basic machine for all its good points. And like most Garretts Ive known, it can be whacked if you run your SENS to high.

Turn it down a little and know that when the cursor jumps around and wont lock on to anything, it is PROBABLY JUNK. But there is only one way to know EXACTLY what that Ace is telling you. Follow Sandmans advice with the electrical tape and use your trowel.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dahut said:
What Sandman said. The Ace is a basic machine for all its good points. And like most Garretts Ive known, it can be whacked if you run your SENS to high.

Turn it down a little and know that when the cursor jumps around and wont lock on to anything, it is PROBABLY JUNK. But there is only one way to know EXACTLY what that Ace is telling you. Follow Sandmans advice with the electrical tape and use your trowel.

like dahut said "PROBABLY JUNK" . sometimes however it can be a deep goodie or a coin on edge. the best thing to do is to dig and find out. although that isnt always practical.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres an old rule of thumb in this game that applies here. Lucille Bowen used to say it like clockwork (anybody remember her?) Let me share it with you:

8) "When you get a stable, repeatable signal at 3" or greater - regardless of the ID - dig." 8)

Nowadays, Id feel comfy stretching that to 4" with the ACE. But you get the point.

"If you aint recovering, then youre only detecting."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread