Batteries

T

TreasureTales

Duracell alkaline. Occasionally I'll fork over some extra bucks to buy the Panasonic Xtreme Power batteries, and they do have a long life...but hard to find them sometimes.

writeimage.asp

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lithium-Polymer. Long L:ife, light weight, can detect all day! Expensive though!

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors vary on the amount of current they use and how long a battery will last. Alkaline are good for most detectors. Some manufactures don't recommend the longer lasting Lithium as they don't work well in detectors, more expensive too.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Energizer Extreme, a bit on the expensive side, but they last a very long time. For back-up, I keep a pack of Duracells or other cheaper battery.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Detectors vary on the amount of current they use and how long a battery will last. Alkaline are good for most detectors. Some manufactures don't recommend the longer lasting Lithium as they don't work well in detectors, more expensive too.

I use Lithium-Polymer Batteries. Lithium Batteries are notoriously dangerous, and can explode if used under the wrong conditions. The Lithium-Polymer Batteries won't do that. My SD2000 (Minelab) is designed to run at 6.9Volts. I talked to one of the developers atr Minelab in Australia,and he said the SD2000 can handle 8.5Volts for extended periods of time with no issues. I found mine while building a Remote Controlled Rock Crawler with a wireless infra-red camera for mine explorations. It uses the 7.4Volt batteries (they actually test out at 7.6V). I decided to try them out on my SD. I strung three 2100mAh batteries in Parallel for a whopping 6300mAh. That equates to about 45 hours detecting time, based on the SD's current draw (in theory). The three batteries weigh about 1/5 pound. The original equipment lead cell battery weighs about 6 pounds (and I can fit the Lithi Batteries in my pocket).

imgp0805wr4.jpg

Anybody with a Minelab SD2000, I recommend this highly. The added power also gave me great Penny airtests at about 30-36 inches (as opposed to about a foot normally).

Best,

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread