New Ace250 and MDer

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined the website a few months back, but finally picked up my Ace 250 from a Christian book store/ Metal Detector store..... I figured it had to be a good sign of some sort!!

I got home after the 2 hour round trip and my son and I found out a few things rather quickly.. Metal detecting= very easy.... Knowing what you are doing= Totally different story, not so easy. I never thought the digging part would be so tough. We had target hits that just seemed to disappear on us, but my 7 year old had a theory about it. He said " maybe there are little people in the ground hiding the treasure from us". I am sticking with his story. Oh, and my yard is FULL of trash all about 4 inches down. LOL sorry for the long first post, my son and I are very excited about getting into the hobby. Best wishes!

from us"

Upvote 0

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you're having fun with it.
You need a pin-pointer to find those elusive objects that you can't find when you dig for them.
Save yourself from wasting your money and get the right tools the first time.
The most popular ones recommended on the forums.
The Garrett Pro-pinpointer.
The digging tool is the Lesche.
These will make your metal detecting much easier which means you will enjoy it more.

For now, you could take clumps of dirt from your hole you dug and pass them over the detector coil till it beeps.
A cheap pinpointer that works decently but probably won't last very long is the one found at HARBOUR FREIGHT TOOLS. It lists for like $15-20.

Happy hunting

OP
OP
Gestus

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did buy a Lesche but did not have the cash on me to buy the pro pointer, but it will be my next purchase item. We did find siding, i am guessing from when our house built, a nail, a crushed coke can and a penny that got us a little excited as it was covered with hard black grim and dirt and we could not see the date or any details. After heading in the house i cleaned it with a little soap and water and found it was a 2000 penny that looks as if it lost a horrible one-sided fight with a lawn mower.

Once it stops snowing and melts, i think we will continue to dig up the back yard and stress out my wife

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the more junk you take out of your yard the more coins you will find.
Go real slow and work a 10'x10' area at a time.
I have hunted my yard many times and always found something each time.
It's also a great place to learn how to dig a plug without leaving a mess behind.
Cut a plug 3/4 round and flip it over, then put the extra dirt on a cloth then dump the dirt back in the hole and flip the plug back in the hole then tamp it down with your foot.
Also throw some change and a nail and a bottle cap and a pull tab down on the grass to learn how your 250 reacts to it.
This is especially helpful if you put the junk next to a coin or on top of one.
I have used jewelry to test it but I would suggest taping it to a piece of paper so you don't mistakingly lose it.

OP
OP
Gestus

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt think of the 10x10 area, i was just inching myself in a straight line across my back yard. I will have to do that, cut down on the amount of space i am trying to cover. LOL i was re- reading the posts here and when i said metal detecting was easy i meant the swinging the detector back and forth, understanding the detector is going to take a lot of trial and error i am sure.

One question i do have and not sure how to locate the info is.. I live in Maryland, i have found websites that cover state parks laws and how to get a possible permit, but i can not find anything that covers the laws/ rules for the county i live in as far as public parks are concerned.

Any website suggestions for carroll county Maryland by chance

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a quick Google search and found this link:

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Maryland.html

In my County Park in Nj I just found a park ranger driving around and walked up to him without the detector and asked and they said its no problem as long as I don't leave a trace of digging.

Bring your son with you and walk up to a park ranger and tell them he just got a new metal detector and you would like to know if its ok to metal detect in the park. If they ask. Explain the way I told ya about how to dig a plug leaving no trace. Of course practice digging those plugs in your yard before going out to the parks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gestus

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the link, i had actually found that one as well, but it doesnt really explain very much, but paints a real bad picture about laws in place. I think contacting the park rangers like you mentioned is the best way to go. Would you handled detecting on local school property the same way.. Seek permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread