&%(*#!!!%&*)_$#!!!! TIN ROOFING

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, Just got back from a house site way back in the woods that burned to the ground in 1937. It was a large house with 3 chimneys and a 15 x 20 cellar that one chimney had fell into plus a seperate "kitchen house" with chimney. Supposed virgin site. Both buildings had tin roofs that drove us crazy. You could not swing a detector without getting a signal. I finally ended up setting my Lobo Super Traq at max discrimination just to keep from going completely nuts. I did pull up a 3 foot long piece of copper pipe that was hand rolled and soldered. It is about 1 1/2 inches across and probably was from a moonshine still and a very used ax head and a Burma Shave tube with lid. Any advice on how to hunt this site would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a Fisher F75. Reason I bought mine. Lot of old homesteads used tin roofs.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of those old sites can drive you nuts,a small sniper coil will help separate between the good targets and trash and make those#$%^ sites manageable

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a fun site....should be some keepers among the junk.....I'd hit it max discrimination until you run out of targets.

Then just keep dropping the disc a bit at a time as the targets get thinned out....that's the way I tackled an old school yard in my area....it gave up a lot of keepers but took a lot of effort.

Regards + HH

Bill

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Old nails at the sites can drive you crazy too. Often if there was a building that collapsed and rotted away (common finds in the Colorado mountain ghost towns), there are thousands of them right where the building stood, along with what looks like parts from half of a hardware store from the 1900's. I have a reprint of an early 1900's Sears Catalog that has helped me figure out what some of these once common relics are. Tin cans are common too - I always hunt trash dumps and outhouse pits at these same sites.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the advice. I will be going back later in the week. I notice 2 likely looking privy sites but didn't find the dump yet. I will take my probe next time. I really would like to hunt the cellar hole but there is tons of rock from the chimney in it and my sorry old back won't alloy me to dig it out. The funniest part about this site is that my wife and i found a housesite 27 years ago back in these woods. I just got permission to hunt this house and after talking with my wife last night, realized that i am hunting a completely differant house site. Now i have to find the original site that will probably have the same %#!^&(! tin roof problem. The house site we found years ago had no cellar and inside the stone foundation was littered with hundreds of small listereen bottles, lots of blue milk of magnesia bottles and marbles all over the ground. Both houses are at least 1/2 mile from the road thru the woods. Thanks Again, steve

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

Another option is to back off to the perimeters of the site where less signals are and little by little work towards the nail infested zones......or just float between the 2 zones depending on your patience level......good luck.

Regards + HH

Bill

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by taking a garden rake to the place to remove as much big surface junk as possible. Then drag a big magnet over it.....I think Harbor Freight still has those that are 2 feet wide and on wheels. If not find a big old blown out speaker and use the magnet off one of those. Strap it to a stick and have at it.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My yard is full of small pieces of tin siding. I have thoroughly swept the yard on multiple occasions with an Ace 250 and a AT Pro, and still manage to find a handful when I go back through it.

On a positive note, after cleaning many of the tin pieces out of the way (most of the are a square inch or so) I managed to start hitting deeper targets that were masked by the junk. So far I've found a 1945 wheatie and a toy sheriff's star to name a few.

I'm currently working on an old baseball field where it rained pull tabs for decades. In one area where I finally cleared away most of the junk, I just hit two wheat pennies from the 50s, in the same hole, about 8" down. I dug a hell of a lotta junk just to find those two pennies :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread