Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Garrett AT Pro - Not Impressed

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    201 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have had the ATP for a week. I have taken it out 3 days in a row. In my previous 1.5 years with the 250 my oldest coin was a 1909 wheat. So far the ATP has pulled these...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.20.13.1882.france.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	729378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.21.13.morgan.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	729379

us
    Dec 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
    242 times
    Prospecting
    Toorude. Nice coin. I haven't found anything older than a '77 penny. However today I think I found a trade token. About the size of a quarter same thickness. Sorry no pick yet. Very hard to read anything. Plus one side seemed smooth. I'll know more in a couple days. Was in a high trash area around a abandoned barn.
    I've got the 5x8DD on it. I find a lot of trash. I found that the pinpointer doesn't work everytime. I think it's defective. I have to push the button several times. It either works or doesn't. Plus I've found it's not centered. I mark the highest point of tone. Then dig, dig, dig. My holes are about the size of the coil almost everytime and even then it's still in the sidewall. Frustrating. I'm going to talk to Garrett about it. However, I still love it. I just have a hard time with the jumping ID numbers. Rings 75 (or so). Jumps down to teens. Then back up to around the same number. So I go over it a couple times and figure it's not iron. Then I dig it. It's IDON. Then I go over it again to verify I didn't miss it. I didn't. I'd heard that when it does that that it normally is trash, but I passed up one of these happenings. My son went over it and dug it. It was a 2 blade pocket knife.
    You'll find more trash with the AT and gold. The golds higher frequency helps with that. Some of the cheaper ones that are coin mode discriminate out a lot of those signals. But you can set it up to do it as well. It's just up to you to decide if you want to dig it. I dig pretty much everything 40+ in case of masking target. The more you use it and understand it. The more you'll like it. Remember they say it takes about 100 hours to fully understand it. I've only gotten about 25 hours on mine. So I've got a long way to go.
    I got a BH 505 Pro for my kids $100+. They just turn it on swing beep dig. They seem to find less trash and more coins as well. They dig less and cover more area faster. However they miss a lot that I've found. Still junk but I've found old pots and rods.
    The AT is one to grow into. The cheaper ones are a great starting point. I've seen numerous videos of beginners with the cheaper units. They still find good stuff. Any detector can find stuff no matter the price range. It's the user who had to swing over the target and decide to dig it. You've probably heard that before. Especially if you asked for advice on which detector is good and for what.
    So keep practicing and finding things and learn the unit. It won't let you down. If its not working properly call Garrett help center. They'll guide you in what to do. I'll be doing it about the pinpointer as well.
    HH

us
    Aug 2011
    NE Ohio
    CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
    463 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I agree that pinpointing is inconsistent. I only dig with a hand Lesche and not a shovel. If the pinpointed spot is off an inch or so I would miss the target.
    Be very aware of the slope of the ground when pinpointing as it can easily throw you off if you are not exactly level with the slope.

I usually try to pinpoint with the ATP then use my Pistolprobe to determine exactly where to dig. Works 9 times out of 10 with a plug only the width of the Lesche!
    Once the plug is turned up the Propointer is used. Many, many finds are recovered in less than a minute.
    Old Dude likes this.

us
    May 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro
    115 times
    Metal Detecting
    I love the 5x8 coil. It works well in trashy areas and is much easier to pinpoint with than the large coil.
    Silver Worm and Valley Ranger like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    201 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you aren't finding anything it is because of location. The pinpointing on the AT Pro takes a little getting used to but you should be able to master it by the end of your second hunt. I don't understand why people with the 250 want the big coil upgrade and people with the ATP want the little one.

us
    Jan 2008
    Sidney, NY
    Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
    24 times
    Metal Detecting
    Love mine !! Just a thought when ground balancing make sure that ground is free of iron and or any other targets.Just dropping a quarter down on the ground without checking for other targets also will affect target reading. I run my wire from the head straight up the plastic shaft ,coil it 4 times around metal shaft and then straight up to the control box. Making it tight and taped. I do this with all my detectors. I never had any of the problems that were mentioned . Anything sounding under the coil is a target. Sometimes real deep targets can give an illusion that it is falsing ringing once. Any thing above a nickle I dig not much into iron artifacts. A old rusty nail can ring around a penny sometimes. Some areas are very trashy and can set the AT Pro off. That just tells me its working well and have picked out coins with persistence. Some people coming from other detectors don't realize or understand that the AT Pro is just picking up more targets. I guess there is always a possibility that there is something wrong with your unit . I did buy and use a pin pointer with the AT PRO . I found that targets sometimes were deeper than I thought and would would make the hole wider just find out I had to go a lot deeper. Its all a learning processes with a different make machine. Some machines just pick up obvious targets making one think all machines should work like that . When you upgrade more sound more choices that's the nature of the beast. I have found on occasion both a quarter and a nickle in the same hole making the AT Pro bounce from Quarter to nickle and in between. This is not problem but a learning process. Like I said dig and learn. Hope this Helps

us
    Jan 2008
    Sidney, NY
    Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
    24 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just one more thought many detectorist make this same mistake.Your foot wear has to be free of all metal including the loops that hold the laces . A sensitive detector will pick up that metal on the back swing.
    bottlecap likes this.

us
    Jul 2008
    SC
    Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
    688 times
    Yhe At pro is a quarter killer if nothing else. If it says about 87/89 it's almost always a quarter. I found one that was about 10" deep. Thought it must have been falsing but I kept digging and there it was.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Grundy VA
    Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
    194 times
    I had an AT pro along side my omega 8000.The tk omega 8000 had ground balance issues on the screen but rang in consitantly,The AT pro was like poking a cat in a sack,It was all over the place no matter what i did,I could ignore the ground balance on the omega up 5 or down by ten,but the AT was exactly as he explained,Anyones guess on which signals to dig.........Best of luck to you no matter which direction you go from here,Im a firm believer that the Garrett AT pro made the garrett pinpointer famous,You need it in order to spend less than two hours recovering a bottle cap....But then again thats just one mans opinion.
    Last edited by LuckyThirteen08; Jan 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling error
    foiledagain likes this.
    We all know jesus rode a shovelhead,Thats why he walked everywhere he went!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Etrac, F75, AT Pro.
    1949 times
    would love the AT Pro and feel confident I could use it with lil or no problems. My F75 has a 11 inch coil and is super sensitive like the AT Pro. You are just going to get more targets. Pin Point takes practice. Since your problem isnt a ground balance, you have soil or emi issues. It is also easy to just null the detector out with a mixture of wrong settings. I have days my F75 just doesnt want to hunt, it happens. Last bad hunt it was a bottle cap magnet lol. But when I get it right, the hunts are fun. Cant tell you anything about the disc modes on a AT Pro, but go all metal and dont worry about numbers, pinpointing, or depth. I would lower you settings and get a smaller search coil in those areas you are digging a lot of trash. I know the VDI screen and discrimination is supposed to make your hunt easy. But the adjustment may be a fine line. I love detectors that are hot, sounds like you got one. Good Luck.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2952 times
    Mat1344, Here's a little tip I discovered using a friends detector. A concentric coil like on my XLT pinpoints dead center of the coil. The DD coils don't. Here's how you pinpoint with a DD coil. Scan back and forth as usual. When you get a signal, stop off the signal and approach it with the left side of your coil. As soon as you get the signal, the target is just at the left side of your coil. Do this again 90 degrees off and you have an exact pinpoint of the target. Try it, you will like it. Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-1 profile.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	730443
    Last edited by Frankn; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Rawhide and Tnmountains like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    201 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by s.c.shooter View Post
    Yhe At pro is a quarter killer if nothing else. If it says about 87/89 it's almost always a quarter. I found one that was about 10" deep. Thought it must have been falsing but I kept digging and there it was.
    I also dug 2 quarters at least 10". Thought it was a false for sure. Deepest targets I've had.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    995 times
    tectin crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1344 View Post
    [I know that this is generally considered the most beloved detector which is why I couldn’t wait to use it.]

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)…but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle…at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.
    Put the time in with atpro, its an impressive machine in the trash. And the relic site. What machine impresses you?
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    995 times
    tectin crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankn View Post
    Mat1344, Here's a little tip I discovered using a friends detector. A concentric coil like on my XLT pinpoints dead center of the coil. The DD coils don't. Here's how you pinpoint with a DD coil. Scan back and forth as usual. When you get a signal, stop off the signal and approach it with the left side of your coil. As soon as you get the signal, the target is just at the left side of your coil. Do this again 90 degrees off and you have an exact pinpoint of the target. Try it, you will like it. Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-1 profile.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	730443
    Frankn the atpro with big dd pinpoints like magic, I rarely use the pp button anymore and the crap is spot on dead center every time by short waggles. But this only being said after two seasons and many thousands of targets.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Dec 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
    242 times
    Prospecting
    I think I figured out the pinpoint on my detector. I thought in the video they said to hit the button. When the sound gets loud and the graph is at highest point. Move coil forward or back. When the signal drops off, it's right there.
    Well after doing this many times and digging many holes (big holes) trying to find the target. I discovered that when you hit the target. Back off it and then pp it by then moving coil towards the target. As soon as you get the higher tone and graph. It's right on the front of the coil in the middle. You can do it to the side as well as the back.
    I could have sworn that when you pp'd it, it was center if coil. Then I would pull back then dig. Man what a way to learn the pinpoint. I could've sworn when practicing pping the coil the target was right in the middle of grid on the coil.
    Well like everybody says. Practice makes perfect. Now I know my holes won't have to get so big. Lol

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links