Garrett AT Pro - Not Impressed

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[I know that this is generally considered the most beloved detector which is why I couldn’t wait to use it.]

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)…but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle…at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a big fan of the ATP only because I've used many other detectors which I've had lots of success with. I am on my 3rd. ATP and it still is not stable holding it still. I've changed frequencies and coils. Went out in the wilderness and only occasionally will it be quiet till it beeps and there is no repeat signal. But it comes down to are we having fun with what ever detector we're swinging, that is what's important. We the People.JPG

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I am not a big fan of the ATP only because I've used many other detectors which I've had lots of success with. I am on my 3rd. ATP and it still is not stable holding it still. I've changed frequencies and coils. Went out in the wilderness and only occasionally will it be quiet till it beeps and

there is no repeat signal. But it comes down to are we having fun with what ever detector we're swinging, that is what's important. View attachment 875484

I say send it back to Garrett & get it fixed (Garrett has a great warranty & stands behind there detectors). Mine does none of those things and hunts like a champion, one of the better detectors I have owned. It's hard to believe that three units have acted up. Is there more to the story here?? Is your unit a 1st generation unit with the non locking rods? there was some early on issues with some of those units but all of the issues have been resolved with the detector now.

On another note I do agree with you on gun rights.

Best Regards,
Bill G

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt1344

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wanted to thank everyone for the comments. I think what it comes down to is there is just a little bigger learning curve with the AT Pro than some other machines with less features (which is to be expected). A more complex machine is going to take more time to get used to.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my ATP and unless you have over 100 hours and preferably 200 hours one might think the ATP is all hype. As with any detector it's all about learning it. I dug a lot of nothing when i 1st bought my ATP and was frustrated to say the least. You must listen to every thing it tells you and you will be successful. My success tells me that $212 in clad in two months is pretty darn good. I forgot the 10 rings and a watch with a total value of about $115

I think it's time to put the thread to bed.

OP
OP
Matt1344

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree Normsel I hadn't commented on this post since January and had no idea it's been at the top of this board the entire year (usually check in to the "Today's Finds" forum) and has been viewed over 25k times! WOW. Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments since I hadn't yet.

Last edited:

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you willing to sell the one your friend gave you? If so, what's your asking price? (Course your friend might be miffed if you sold THAT one, eh?)

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are all detectors hit or miss? like for every one detector a company puts out that works as advertised, they put out a bad or sub-par one of the same model?
Is there any way to tell? Serial no.? model year?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are all detectors hit or miss? like for every one detector a company puts out that works as advertised, they put out a bad or sub-par one of the same model?
Is there any way to tell? Serial no.? model year?

This post is toast!

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks can throw out any "name brand" imaginable but what many fail to realize is that (and pisses me off the most)
we are all confined to A certain law of physics that that defines our endeavors in detecting.

There ARE some regions on this Planet (some are in your backyard, here in the U.S.) where metal detectors are useless.
Some folks could team up with some old timers in order to discern "right" from riches but some folks would rather believe
what they see on television or a youtube video.

Metal dectecting is real, the most primitive form is when you pull your car up to a stop light or better yet the left hand turn lane, you often get the signal.
but what happens if you are driving a big 4x4 which is 40 inches above the ground. you might miss the light sequence, and the next, and the next.

This technology has been around since WWI and yes it has been perfected, is it your area that is the problem? or is it you the operator.

The term Magnetometry can be used loosely where in other areas it IS, an exact Science.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt1344

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle…at least so far.]

Let me know if you want to sell it!

I know that ultimately all I needed was a little more practice on the machine. The ATP that I was using was my Dad's and I borrowed it for about 6 months. I have since gave it back to him.

I stand by what I said a year ago though. For beginners the ATP may be more hassle than it's worth. Some of the features like depth and the numeric target ID often times can't be trusted. I used an old White's Classic ID (which I'm still using to this day) and found silver my first 20 SECONDS of detecting (I literally had a total of 20 seconds worth of experience and found a mercury dime in my front yard), though that was beginner's luck I am confident I would have never found that with the AT Pro.

100 hours (of practice) in the grand scheme of things is reasonable (I get that), but for someone who isn't retired (has a full time job and kids) it may take an ENTIRE YEAR to reach 100 hours of detecting (2 hours each weekend). Beginners have to ask themselves before dropping the 700 on the machine...do you want to fight the AT Pro for an ENTIRE YEAR of MD'ing? Kinda takes the fun out of it. Some people in this thread are saying it takes 200 hours before you can judge the machine. Ugh, H3LL no! We do this for fun, not to be frustrated every weekend for 2 YEARS!!

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that...the important thing is your out there having a great time and responsibly representing the hobby...no matter which machine you use!

RI_JEFF

Greenie
Dec 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada Originally from Providence,R.I.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Discovery 3300, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I'll catch he'll for this but the AT PRO sucks. It's a piece of crap and is just a waste of money. Now that's my opinion so all of you Garrett's users chill out. I just don't personally like it. My WHITES DFX is a pinpointing king. And if my detector says a coin is 4" under my coil you better believe it will be 4" and dead center of the coil. I know some people will get mad at me for saying that but my opinion is my opinion.

Ok, kshollywood, I accept your opinion, BUT YOU'RE WRONG! LOL!

RI_JEFF

Greenie
Dec 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada Originally from Providence,R.I.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Discovery 3300, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that ultimately all I needed was a little more practice on the machine. The ATP that I was using was my Dad's and I borrowed it for about 6 months. I have since gave it back to him.

I stand by what I said a year ago though. For beginners the ATP may be more hassle than it's worth. Some of the features like depth and the numeric target ID often times can't be trusted. I used an old White's Classic ID (which I'm still using to this day) and found silver my first 20 SECONDS of detecting (I literally had a total of 20 seconds worth of experience and found a mercury dime in my front yard), though that was beginner's luck I am confident I would have never found that with the AT Pro.

100 hours (of practice) in the grand scheme of things is reasonable (I get that), but for someone who isn't retired (has a full time job and kids) it may take an ENTIRE YEAR to reach 100 hours of detecting (2 hours each weekend). Beginners have to ask themselves before dropping the 700 on the machine...do you want to fight the AT Pro for an ENTIRE YEAR of MD'ing? Kinda takes the fun out of it. Some people in this thread are saying it takes 200 hours before you can judge the machine. Ugh, H3LL no! We do this for fun, not to be frustrated every weekend for 2 YEARS!![

Hey Matt, I would say if you're only doing it for "fun" a few hours a week, you should get an ACE 150-350 or one of the "starter" machines. MANY people take this hobby VERY seriously and WANT or CAN spend the time to learn all of the settings on their machines so they can find deeper, "better' finds. I'm sure by now, you know some people live and breathe this "hobby?" LOL OBSESSION? Anyway Matt, I wish you many future finds! Jeff

droptopjim

Nov 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have an AT Pro, but I recently got a Fisher F5, and was very unhappy with it, But as I have learned the machine, I have become very happy with it. you have a very capable machine, give it time

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
200 + hours to get good with an AT Pro ???? I can't imagine how long it would take you to learn to use a V3i !!!!!! It shouldn't take that long to learn to use any detector IMHO. I have had a bunch of different machines and really enjoyed and was pretty proficient with all of them and can usually figure one out in 20 hours or less. I had a borrowed AT Pro for a couple of weeks between detectors. He gave me the setting that he used and I went with them. I had no problems with it and really found it a pretty easy detector to use. I loved the iron audio and thought it was a very beneficial feature. I didn't have problems pinpointing it because I would just wiggle the coil backwards after pinpointing until the signal faded and it was usually in the center of the top of the coil. I dug an IH on my first outing with it and those are not very prominent in the areas that I hunt. The only negative things that I didn't like were the balance of the machine and thought it felt toe heavy causing the whole detector to feel heavier than it really was and the lack of correct ID on deeper targets. I pretty much just use tones anyway so it was no big deal but I don't think it gives very good ID's on coins past 6-7 inches. That is one thing I love about the CZ 5. The analog meter is much more reliable than the digital ones that I have used other than the Etrac which was pretty good at depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread