Garrett AT Pro - Not Impressed

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[I know that this is generally considered the most beloved detector which is why I couldn’t wait to use it.]

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)…but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle…at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have attacked everything about the ATP, now you are reaching. I enjoy my hobby. There really is no bad detector. OK maybe a counterfeit.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the AT Pro you can say its trash or cheaply made..
But then why does 99.999% of people who have bought and use the AT Pro love it.... Clearly its a good detector... And I know it is hell if the ATPro is a crap detector. And cheaply made hell I love a cheaply made detector that can get me a coin 10' down... Then

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro is designed, conceived and built as a specific windfall device by Garret to be advertised and sold by the TV show "Diggers" to take advantage of a very specifically targeted end user base that typically purchased it for full price and used it once and never again.
Most unlike the OP are too proud and or ashamed to admit it's a actually very cheaply made piece of trash.

Completely FALSE, ATPro was released in late 2010 so obviously designed long before that , Diggers premiered in Feb of 2012

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the AT Pro you can say its trash or cheaply made..
But then why does 99.999% of people who have bought and use the AT Pro love it.... Clearly its a good detector... And I know it is hell if the ATPro is a crap detector. And cheaply made hell I love a cheaply made detector that can get me a coin 10' down... Then

I saw Sandman didn't like his AT Pro. He must be that .001%

I will agree with the love of a cheaply made detector that gets a coin at 10" though. The reason I own a BH LRP. Less than half the price of an AT Pro.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bash...bash...bash...I hear some bash the atp yet so many of us with multiple mid and high end detectors own and respect the atp for both its design and its performance....sooo many.

el padron,
I find your comments over the top fanboy talk.I dont claim I like it because I'm secretly embarrased about purchasing it.that is condecending,arrogant and woefully uninformed.I like it because I like it and it is performing up to the makers claims and my expectations.

The diggers boys have always had a garrett in their hands since their first days of detecting.the atp came out two years before the show.your comment about that reinforces my assertion that you are uninformed yet quite vocal.

I own and have owned garretts,fishers and minelabs.I have enjoyed them all but I prefer my atp in my hunting conditions.Call me what you want.Do you even own a detector?starting to sound a bit trollish.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, "just tell them they need to put in 200 hours of training"

if I'm not mistaken you are actually responding to yourself,quoting yourself and laughing outloud at yourself while claiming something about 200 hrs.Where did you get that number?the industry and members here largely agree that any machine takes around 100 hrs to maximise performance in varied conditions.i.e. to master it.
garrett,like others claim it"may"take up to 100 hrs to master.

sounds about right,its not a phone.many,depending on prior expierience will surely master it quicker.some may never maximise its potential,but it does has standard mode for them and is quite easy to use day 1.you really need to do more homework and perhaps even try one.I think you might like it.

Remnar

Oct 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised that someone who is an I Phone fanboy doesn't have the grasp of how tech items are developed and produced. By the time any cutting edge tech item is available for purchase the technology it has is already out dated.

Garrett designed and built a decent machine that hits a price point and feature curve that makes it a good value. When I can pay 500 dollars for a machine that allows me to somewhat hang with the big boys swinging 1000 dollar and up machines and do so in water....That's a win in my book. For now I enjoy the machine that has enough capability to let me learn more about this fun and interesting hobby. As I move on, if the enjoyment continues, I'll probably upgrade. But for now I'm having a blast.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bash...bash...bash...I hear some bash the atp yet so many of us with multiple mid and high end detectors own and respect the atp for both its design and its performance....sooo many.

el padron,
I find your comments over the top fanboy talk.I dont claim I like it because I'm secretly embarrased about purchasing it.that is condecending,arrogant and woefully uninformed.I like it because I like it and it is performing up to the makers claims and my expectations.

The diggers boys have always had a garrett in their hands since their first days of detecting.the atp came out two years before the show.your comment about that reinforces my assertion that you are uninformed yet quite vocal.

I own and have owned garretts,fishers and minelabs.I have enjoyed them all but I prefer my atp in my hunting conditions.Call me what you want.Do you even own a detector?starting to sound a bit trollish.
The guys on Diggers had a friend on here and he said they were using minelabs, then about the time ATP came out they switched and said they work better which I person don't believe but to each his own.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guys on Diggers had a friend on here and he said they were using minelabs, then about the time ATP came out they switched and said they work better which I person don't believe but to each his own.

ATPRO was released before digger and diggers... ATPRO was released in Sept - Oct of 2010 which is before Digger or Diggers was ever filmed...

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATPRO was released before digger and diggers... ATPRO was released in Sept - Oct of 2010 which is before Digger or Diggers was ever filmed...

I don't understand your point. They were still detecting as a group with minelabs. I'm referring to the guys on the show rather than the show. One of the group used to post on here but constant bashing seems to have maybe driven him away.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind the show but it's oblivious sponsored by Garrett. I've seen guys say they just use what works best but don't believe for a second that the Garrett digger or the Garrett headphones are the best in either category.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind the show but it's oblivious sponsored by Garrett. I've seen guys say they just use what works best but don't believe for a second that the Garrett digger or the Garrett headphones are the best in either category.

ummmm...what?....look up anaconda treasure on youtube....long before they were anybody but much like the rest of us in their passion.their 1st machines...when they got into it were gti2500s.say what you will but they have NEVER swung a minelab or any other.I like minelab products...have had three..all were capable of exactly what minelab said they were...still own my soverign gt.I like it,have done ok with it...BUT...the atp has absoluteley demolished it in trashy high iron areas.Is what it is.

Bring it....bash the atp..but know this...many high end expierienced detectorists have added it to their quiver for a reason.damn thing works

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ummmm...what?....look up anaconda treasure on youtube....long before they were anybody but much like the rest of us in their passion.their 1st machines...when they got into it were gti2500s.say what you will but they have NEVER swung a minelab or any other.I like minelab products...have had three..all were capable of exactly what minelab said they were...still own my soverign gt.I like it,have done ok with it...BUT...the atp has absoluteley demolished it in trashy high iron areas.Is what it is.

Bring it....bash the atp..but know this...many high end expierienced deterists have added it to their quiver for a reason.damn thing works

First I'm not bashing the atp. Second look it up yourself they were using minelabs according to their friend that used to post here.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand your point. They were still detecting as a group with minelabs. I'm referring to the guys on the show rather than the show. One of the group used to post on here but constant bashing seems to have maybe driven him away.
Diggers buddy on here was ..Montanagold . . He did say something about Minelab's some times but i under stood it that he Montanagold used Minelabs not the Diggers..

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First I'm not bashing the atp. Second look it up yourself they were using minelabs according to their friend that used to post here.

watch the interview on youtube with them.note the dates.they(not a drive by poster who left)claim how difficult it was to afford the 2500s they purchased when they were beggining in the hobby."our first detectors"

now ask yourself why,when they were nobody more important in the hobby than you or I,that virtually ALL of their early videos are swinging the 2500.....why not the mythethical minelad something...they had zero chance of it mattering.Is what it is.Your arguement about minelabs is completely without ANY evidense.NONE...its about someone said they knew someone who said...

there is a complete video history that EXACTLY lines up with what they have claimed from day one.

the only single word I can produce is"duh"

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watch the interview on youtube with them.note the dates.they(not a drive by poster who left)claim how difficult it was to afford the 2500s they purchased when they were beggining in the hobby."our first detectors"

now ask yourself why,when they were nobody more important in the hobby than you or I,that virtually ALL of their early videos are swinging the 2500.....why not the mythethical minelad something...they had zero chance of it mattering.Is what it is.Your arguement about minelabs is completely without ANY evidense.NONE...its about someone said they knew someone who said...

there is a complete video history that EXACTLY lines up with what they have claimed from day one.

the only single word I can produce is"duh"

I'm telling what was said. Don't care much beyond that.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
make no mistake dirt...I respect you.I have read your posts from day 1 and you have ALWAYS been someone I listen to and give credibility.I just think you got this one wrong.I,of course could be wrong,but I'm betting the farm I am not.Back in the day I was a fan and watched every video they made.Bought two....not because I needed to, but because I wanted to support a couple of guys who were trying soooo hard to make a living at detecting.

what they use has no meaning to me as far as which equipment is superior.THERE IS NO SUPERIOR.Man I know its true.There are however models that are superior in specific variables.

All good my friend but as I have my own evidence that is irrefutable I stand by the fact that their very 1st machines were gti2500s....next was atp...then added atgold...is what it is

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair enough just how I remember a old thread or I wouldn't have posted it. I love the show myself .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread