Found medals ... lets see some of those found

mspsarge

Dec 26, 2012
Tecumseh, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have posted a couple of mine on other threads...the G.A.R. 25th anniversary "Silver Encampment" and the Schwaab 1912 Admiral Dewey's Flagship fund raiser ladies medal. The last has the Lords Prayer in micro script on the back readable only with a magnifing glass.

This thread will show a medal top I found. It is originally a medal issued by the Womens Relief Corp, a sister organization to the Grand Army of the Republic. It has the initials F. L. & C. which stand for Fidelity, Loyality, and Charity.

medal pin bar.JPG medal pin bar (2).JPG Womans Relief corp medal.jpg

Please feel free to post your medal finds.....it should prove interesting.

Greg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Here's a war merit one I found a few years back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
mspsarge

mspsarge

Dec 26, 2012
Tecumseh, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A German Merit Cross with swords. I have one my father brought back from WWII without the swords. They are commendation medal,... mine being for a civilian,.. your found one for someone in the German military. A nice find for sure and some value too.

Greg

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mspsarge

mspsarge

Dec 26, 2012
Tecumseh, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That fits in real nice here...and a nice find too. You might want to check a "Zippo" collectors site for value.

Greg

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research and it was sold in Mexaco in 1938.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I found today. Not sure if it is military or scouts. It has a four blade airplane prop on it.

View attachment 727054

OP
OP
mspsarge

mspsarge

Dec 26, 2012
Tecumseh, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
105px-Dfc-usa.jpg

Twinkletoes,

That is the bottom portion of a Distinguished Flying Cross. It's quite a high honor to receive this air medal. Is it engraved on the back or serial numbered along the edge somewhere? Do a Google search on it and you'll discover you made a great find.

Greg

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The medal has what appears to be 3 or 4 marks scratched on the back near the top. They look like a tee-pee, tripod, or a pyramid. The line along the bottom of the tee-pee seems rounded. There may be some numbers about mid-way up across the back, however, more investigation is needed. Thanks for the help with the identification. You are right . What a find! HH

View attachment 727099

OP
OP
mspsarge

mspsarge

Dec 26, 2012
Tecumseh, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not all the medals were engraved with the recipients name on the back. If it was done, it would be very professional looking. Medals of this stature were usually serial numbered and that can usually be traced to the recipient. It took a significant achievement to be awarded one of these.

Greg

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, no engraving on this one. I have found a website with the names of all recipients. I am going to look through it to see if the location where I found it might give a clue the recipient.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread