Gold ring???

UKspokes

Greenie
Jan 5, 2013
I found this in my dads garden, it wasn't actually with my metal detector but my dad had dug up the mud a few years ago and I found this. its been in my bedside draw ever since.
I've been finding some interesting finds in my parents garden lately but have no idea what was on the site before our house.
I would love to know where the ring came from or how old it is, can jewellers tell the age of a ring?

Attachments

• image-3826506200.jpg
    image-3826506200.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

Ringdigger

Nov 27, 2012
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
excal ll, white's surf PI, Tesoro sand shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If there is a makers mark inside the ring you can look it up online. There may be a manufactures date of production otherwise I don't think a jeweler can help. That's my two cents

OP
OP
U

UKspokes

Greenie
Jan 5, 2013
The mark looks like 3 crowns in a row, that's all I can see. The mini diamonds are different colours.. I don't have a clue when it comes to rings I'm afraid

thecurrent

Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mark looks like 3 crowns in a row, that's all I can see. The mini diamonds are different colours.. I don't have a clue when it comes to rings I'm afraid

Are the crowns in a perfect row like X X X or more like X X , X ?
X X X

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impossible to tell from your photo. We need much closer, and clearer pics of the ring and the markings. It looks like it has corrosion spots on it, which gold rings USUALLY won't have. But that could also be reflections, it's hard to tell.

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the replies. Try to look inside the ring, it should have markings.: 14k, etc. Maybe take a pic of the inside markings?

here's a couple pieces I found last week: 73358_552964304715463_639869117_n.jpg 392985_552468938098333_460141958_n.jpg

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UKspokes, Maybe, read that as IF, the ring is a special style common to an era or a particular popular jeweler a modern jeweler might recognize it and be able to give you some input otherwise dating is not possible. A jeweler can do a test to tell if it is gold and has an electronic tool to examine the stones with. Please let us know what you find out.............63bkpkr

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a good jeweler can tell by the cut of stones, and style of ring what era it was made in. or give you a really good estimate. if its gold i dont think that looks like corrosion from your picture, it just looks like a REALLY old hand made gold ring, probably worn for a very long time before it was lost. to be able to tell on here, we would definately need larger, clearer, detailed pictures.

thanks for showing the ring though it has me thinking i should go hunt today!

gl&hh!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like old gold to me. Stop by a jeweler or a pawn shop and have it checked.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can by a simple kit from many places that will let you test for gold or silver content. You make a small rubbing and add a drop. Most kits come with complete instructions. I got one at Amazon for about ten bucks. It works. It is such a thrill to find anything of value. It is super to find a gold ring. Congrats.

OP
OP
U

UKspokes

Greenie
Jan 5, 2013
Thank you everyone for your replies :-) I'm currently snowed in so I haven't had chance to get this checked out. I will keep you all posted as soon as I find any information.
I personally think it's quite old and must of been lost for a very long time.
Thanks again

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.. I would just take it to a jewler or a pawn shop to have it checked out...

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some green patina in those crevaces and around the stones.
Based on the picture, I'd say its gold plated copper alloy ring.

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be careful using chemical testing kits. They are usually a mixture of Hydrochloric and Nitric acid and can give you a bad burn if you get it on your skin. You won't know until the yellow/brown blisters form. I know cos I got the tee shirt!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread