Omega 8000 acting strange

Mlee

Jan 9, 2013
I just recently received my omega from Tom at millermdz (thanks Tom, great price!) and it's a great machine, I thought I was doing good till I switched it to 2 tone from the default 3 in discrimination mode and it's like a different machine.

But my soil gives me some strange affect with the vid nickels ring up a sold 57 in air, copper pennies at 83 etc all nice and solid. But if I set a nickel on the ground and swing it over it hits a solid 57 now, bury even just 1" and it's a different result it either thinks the coin is iron or rings up a nickel in the quarter range, sometimes it won't even detect it at all when I know it should.

I always ground balance the detector in auto tune mode until it doesn't squel when pumped up and down. My soil typically settles at 67 some areas it gets up to 73 when auto balanced. Before doing my tests I made sure that the ground was clean of every type of metal to make sure it wasn't a masking issue.

I'm not sure if it's because of my soil or what but I know it is causing me to miss some. But im not dissing the machine and to work around it I just dig everything that gives solid hits and pinpoints small. Found a 1897 British one penny at 4" that is my best find so far, and a ton of clad.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread