Righty / Lefty

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am right handed and tend to always start out swinging the MD in my right hand. When that shoulder and arm tire, I switch to the left hand. I assume most do this. I figured out that I found more stuff righty than lefty. So I studied on it some and discovered that switching to lefty caused several things to happen.

1) My swing shortened. So, I covered less ground.
2) I did not swing at a consistent level, the MD moved up and down.
3) I was swinging with the tip up, so I was not parallel to the ground.
4) As I ended each sweep, the sides of the coil would come up, again not parallel.

So I worked on correcting these things and did much better left handed. It is nice to have a hobby that is not restricted to one side or the other. This gives some exercise to both sides.

How do others view this? Do you switch hands? Do the results vary?

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I am right handed and tend to always start out swinging the MD in my right hand. When that shoulder and arm tire, I switch to the left hand. I assume most do this. I figured out that I found more stuff righty than lefty. So I studied on it some and discovered that switching to lefty caused several things to happen.

1) My swing shortened. So, I covered less ground.
2) I did not swing at a consistent level, the MD moved up and down.
3) I was swinging with the tip up, so I was not parallel to the ground.
4) As I ended each sweep, the sides of the coil would come up, again not parallel.

So I worked on correcting these things and did much better left handed. It is nice to have a hobby that is not restricted to one side or the other. This gives some exercise to both sides.

How do others view this? Do you switch hands? Do the results vary?

I've tried it several times,rather use right exclusively though. GodBless Chris

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I switch when it hurts.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I switch are,a but i ordered a slimg type thing to hold the detector. I will try a couple of those and if i find that that either works or i can modify i will use that. I have injured both shoulders so i have t be careful or i wont be staying in this hobby long.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I switch arms depending on which detector I'm using. The ones I hip mount are much harder to swap arms with so I generally don't do it with those. If the machine is heavy, I just use the Detecting Buddy sling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread