Detecting style

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Lots of different detectorists here and lots of styles. What's yours? I am somewhat limited in total experience and would like to hear the pro's and con's of the different types of treasure hunting with metal detectors that you participate in or intend to participate in. I follow several methods:

Research method: Old maps and atlases tell me what was in a spot, then it's compare that to modern maps/references and see determine if there's good potential during a visual drive-by. Follow that with permissions and go at it. The research method has subsets that include coinage and relic hunting, bottle and privy digging and cache hunting.

Volume Hunting: As we've noted and argued from a previous thread hereabouts this is a big clad catcher. Subsets include beach hunting, park and playground sweeps, my favorite-carnie cleanups and festival hunts. It usually involves shallow detecting and quick recoveries.

Beach Hunting: Deserves it's own category as well because within a beach hunt there are coin and jewelry hunters, dry and wading hunters.

Water Hunting: I've done a lot of snorkeling for goodies in the long gone past, but know little of diving. Fill us in. Freshwater/salt water, range of depth, clear water, river, lake or sea? I do know the equipment can vary widely but my water hunting is primarily shallow river and creek-oriented.

Relic Hunting: A lot of research methodology here as well. Getting all fired up over all those rusty iron objects? These are the hardcore hunters from what I know of them. How different is your approach? Is it all audio or do you use any of the ID/target category machines?

Targets Of Opportunity: Do you mainly wait for the construction/demo sites to show up and hit them? I know the rewards of this method can be great as well. But the sheer horror as you watch a truckload of parkway dirt hauled off before you got to it can bring on real frustration!

Lemme know what I'm leaving out and what you do and how you do it! New detectorists are looking for their own inspiration guided by your experience!

Upvote 0

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I sent you an email, be glad to converse back and forth. Side walks that are torn up and old houses torn down. once I started hunting those sites, I switched from a clad hunter to the oldies. This year 124 pre-1900 coins. Try it and let me know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a RESEARCH & Locate type of Relic Hunter. / Treasure Hunter / Coin Hunter. I don't go after clad, If I had my way, I'd never dig another Clad coin in my life, However You gotta take the Trash along with the good. DON'T GET ME RONG, I dont throw Clad away, I just am not particularly going to places clad is.? I like Colonial Forts, & Church Sites, Sites of Oppertunity (Draind Lakes, Construction, Public Service Projects) I'll do Swimming Pools for the Rings. and Defunct parks for the silver. I want to do a Treasure site again. hopefully the next one pans out. I'm? into ghost towns, abandond home sites, and Historical Lands. just to name a few

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shoot an scoot, i dig it all baby,because my machine sucks >:(but the weather is cramping my style in a big way getting ready to tell the kids to throw some handfulss of change around the back yard just to keep the itch releived and at bay!!! ;D dekalb33 the terror of dirt in a truck being hauled away keeps me up at night, how bout you(wink)!!

corncrasher

Jan 14, 2005
Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX
carnie clean ups are popular, but what my question is- Why hasn't one of the carnies ever wised up to this. they could get a cheap detector and to do a quick search when there packing up and get the easy stuff, maybe they do for all I know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around Here there are about a dozen Carnivals a year, and Yes, they do have detectors & search, each morning

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've been pelted with change flying out of some of the rides at a carnival that used to come to my area. The property has been sold and a restaurant and auto parts store is there now, whole area has been paved. But a smart carnie could have cleaned up at this place (and probably did) I think some of those rides are made to empty your pockets!!

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Most of the carnies around here spend the night eyeballing change with flashlights. ?I've had a few come up and brag that they found three to five bucks in beer money and I just carry on and say that's pretty cool. ?I try to get in before they wake up but often the best sites are where those late night storms blow through and the crews work to get everything packed so they can beat the storms leaving a lot behind.

The 4th of July in my town is in the sports complex with 15-20k people attending and sitting all over the ballfields. ?The grounds crew there stays up all night with the lights on and cleans up very well but neighboring towns have both carnies and crowds that leave a lot behind. ?The zipper and the kamikaze are favorites of mine. ?They have well-defined drop patterns and when in good grass can return very well. ?At one site I found 63 quarters in one spot, near a portable video arcade. ?At many I am the only detectorist, most waiting until later in the day to get there. ?Probably why not many do it around here. ?There are those where it's just plain odds and ends and little change but those are usually the carnies without inverting rides.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Sounds like those Carnie's can just sniff a coin in the grass. Reminds me of this guy I know says his girl friend spotted a $10 bill in the gutter. Thing was they were doing 40m.p.h. in a rain storm. P.S. they pick cans too!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Mainly research and opportunity. Carnie rides and booths around here take in cash-issue junk tokens instead. If found just save them for next time in town and spend them. Bulk clads, etc. when no time to travel far-just to get out of house-playgrounds, schools still have a good find or 2 once in a while.

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
As for me, the devil is in the details. I am one of those freaks who loves doing the "leg work". I would love to have a dollar for every hour I have spent pouring over old newspapers, city archives, and books. Not to metion all of the time spent on the internet.

I'll also take a take a target of opportunity given the chance, but for me, nothing beats doing the research!

Oh yeah, by the way- It's old coins and relics that I am primarily after but I do break up my routine with beach hunting from time to time.

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread