What type of woods to hunt in

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been addicted to a site called historic aerials. Good info there. Google search as much as possible, local library has old newspapers. When in doubt, you can ask ol'timers in your area too. I like woods that isn't too full of knotweed. HH

Jay

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This book is a revelation. Since reading it, I haven't looked at the woods the same way. I find myself studying the trees as we drive by.

51kuaxPyi9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England by Tom Wessels Reading the Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England: Tom Wessels, Brian D. Cohen, Ann H. Zwinger: 9780881504200: Amazon.com: Books via @amazon

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start with Google Earth and examine the areas near where you live. You have to learn to read what the maps and such show you. I like old maps. I love old newspapers. I lived in Gretna for a while and I know how much history there is in your area. Read history books about your area. I liked the area north of New Orleans. All of the coastal areas. But, like we say over and over, respect property rights. There are people in areas of Louisiana that shoot first and don't worry about questions. Every time you go out, even if you don't find a horde of buried coins, be richer by learning something. Get better each time.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Who cares?? Just get in there and dig .. Some of my best finds have been from random hunts in the woods with no known associated history.

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I find out more about this MD stuff, I am starting to look quite differently at the land I drive by now...never thought I'd do that.:thumbsup:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ELITE
A guy named Buckleboy HERE is from Louisiana he finds real good stuff read some of his posts
Yes i would get a good old map/maps of your area from the local library....i have maps From the 1860s and the 1930s of the same areas here and they help.
Gary

Krebsdetector

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Krebs, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 right now. I'm about to upgrade though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually scout the place first before i even decide to detect there. I usually look for old bottles, foundations, wells, cellar holes, etc. Just get out and look and you could find an amazing place that no one knows about!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had real good luck using the old gazeteers and atlas's that were published periodically from the mid to late 19th century. They list the old roads, some that still exist, the home and farm locations and owners names, and all the mill and business sites thatmight not be seen today. They are real interesting and valuable tools when trying to locate past history. Another important piece of information they list, are the types of businesses and the products they made. Who knows what is still hidden because this info is not used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread