Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are getting a signal and then when you dig you find nothing and the signal goes away you are probably getting a hit on an iron object that is rusted away. That's called the halo effect. Try turning your sensitivity down a bit. I have a Radio Shack 3300 and it is a BH product probably similar to your detector.. I only run the sensitivity about half way. Check for overhead wires, or being too close to a large iron or steel post or fence. That will cause the detector to sound off when there is nothing there and that is known as "falsing". Most all detectors will do it. You may have to dig ten pieces of trash before you find a coin depending on the area where you are hunting. A park for instance is famous for pull tabs and bottle caps. Listen for any difference in tone between a piece of junk and a coin. There is a difference if you are subtle enough to hear it. Get a set of headphones if you don't have them as it will increase your ability to hear the subtle tones and make your batteries last longer as a bonus. Most of all, don't give up, you are learning every time out and the more you detect the better you will get. Monty

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try that... Thanks Monty

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I had one of these before I had my Ace 250. I didn't find much with it. I gave it to my brother, and he finds alot. Coins, relics......I guess I didn't get to know it. It's probably an OK detector.

DM

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite what a lot of people say about it, it's a decent detector for the money. One of its only drawbacks if the absence of a depth meter.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 3300 does have a depth indicator but for some reason it always shows the target to be shallower when it's on the pinpoint mode. Yet when I dig, it's usually about an inch deeper. Go figure. So, I know the target is withinn two inches or so of what the detector tells me. This is a good example of the kind of thing you will learn with more experience. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread