Are Pinpointers Fair

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today my son and I went out digging and our pro pointer battery died mid dig. We packed up and left to get a new battery before continuing. It's definitely a crutch for us as well. Love this tool.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after a few days using a Garrett pin-pointer I found I was focusing less on my MD pinpointing skills & instead relying more on the Garrett. My laziness was causing me to dig bigger holes - my fault. Time to refocus and use the device as a tool, not a crutch. .....I can't imagine detecting again without one...

Love it too!! I would never want to go out without it!

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I view the relationship between the detector and the pin-pointer as a kind of partnership. My GTI-1500 gets me close and the pin-pointer puts me directly on it. I use the GTI function to mark it as close as possible, do a little digging and then employ the pin-pointer. I need it more on small targets than larger ones. It is one tool in the arsenal.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Pin point with the garret (or any other) before you even start to dig! If you quickly pinpoint with the detector- then bend down and draw an X on the spot you'll be exactly over the target- very small hole then. But if its deeper than 3-4" you may have to super tune it. Then you can see it maybe 5-6" on a decent object.

(here's how--- Turn propointer on. Take digger and place tip alongside and near the top of pinpointer. Slowly slide it down till it starts beeping good- then back the trowel back up the handle until the beeping just barely does stop. Then hold it in that position and draw the x with it pointing straight down into the ground.) Try it in an air test first. It will get you 2+ more inches.
PEACE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread