Good Detector-$500 Budget

Trollfish

Feb 4, 2013
South East Indiana
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a budget of $500 to spend on a detector, preferably two, one for wife, one for my kid who is 7 and me who wishes he was 7 again.

I have experience with a detector from Radio Shack(Bounty Hunter) from the 90's, which I found useful for nails and cans and pop tabs, hot rocks in AZ and a bullet or two. So I never really got to hot and heavy into it.

My wife has MS and refuses to give in to her disease, so we spend as much time outdoors walking as much as possible to keep her legs in good shape. She asked if metal detecting would provide more incentive to do so......well yeah. So she said buy something! OK!

So after some research on here and Kellyco, I am even more confused about what to buy for us.:BangHead:

We "dump root" for old relics and bottles in our walks. I have been prospecting for a about 15 years and treasure hunting all my life. Old falling down homesteads make me sweat with desire!!! Love em! I have an addiction to old bottles and glass, odd stones and fossils.

I also prospect for gems and gold, but don't need a detector for gold.

So, if you could take a bit of time.

Detector good for all around use. coins and relics.
I would say we are novices in the use of today's units even though I am an electronics engineer(not-practicing in that capacity for some time).
Something light and strong, wife may need to occaisionally lean on it to prevent a fall.

I see Bounty Hunter in this price range, but my frustration from the 90's makes me leary.

So maybe just one good one we can take turns with would work as well.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Troll

Upvote 0

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The sponsors are great. Very helpful. Tom at Miller MDz is a great resource. I did a ton of research ended up with the Fisher F4 with a Garrett Propoint set up. Good luck and keep your lady strong and fighting!

There are folks on this site (not me) with tons of knowledge

Last edited:

Vizzio

Jun 11, 2012
Missoula, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2 w/ 11" DD Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F2 is nice and light and has more info than most for the price. That was my first detector and I would highly recommend it. I hunt with a friend who has an Ace 250 and I can find things he passes over all the time. You can get two of those for 500 with a few extras. This is just my two cents. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Randy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a Tesoro Vaquero! $450.00 Best of Luck!

OP
OP
Trollfish

Trollfish

Feb 4, 2013
South East Indiana
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I have made a decision. There is a local dealer about 50 miles from our place. Going to visit them on Saturday and check out the goods there. He said he will match any internet deal, so who knows.

The biggest concern is length of the unit for the wife. She is 6'1" and doesn't need to walk hunched over to do this. So a visit and a test fit with people who sell and use these is the best way to go.

Thanks,
Troll

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread