would love someones input

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned several Explorers and they are great machines. I have a friend that hunted with a SE Pro prior to getting his Etrac and he was very successful with it. I think you will enjoy the SE Pro but give yourself time to learn the machine. Explorers do have a learning curve but once you get the hang of things they are great machines.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned several Explorers and they are great machines. I have a friend that hunted with a SE Pro prior to getting his Etrac and he was very successful with it. I think you will enjoy the SE Pro but give yourself time to learn the machine. Explorers do have a learning curve but once you get the hang of things they are great machines.

Yeah i'm not really familiar with all of the technology on it, but im sure it will be fun.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SE Pro is a fantastic machine, and will hit deeper than the AT Pro. It is a lot heavier to swing though, but there are more coils available for it than the Garrett. I have a Safari and the AT Pro and I use them both. There is a learning curve to both machines, and the Minelab has perhaps a longer curve than the Garrett but both also have factory settings which make them fairly easy to get along with straight out of the box. The Minelab with it's multi-frequency capabilities will outshine the other one in wet salt beaches and heavily mineralized soil. I think once you get used to it that you'll absolutely love it!! Good luck!!

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SE Pro is a fantastic machine, and will hit deeper than the AT Pro. It is a lot heavier to swing though, but there are more coils available for it than the Garrett. I have a Safari and the AT Pro and I use them both. There is a learning curve to both machines, and the Minelab has perhaps a longer curve than the Garrett but both also have factory settings which make them fairly easy to get along with straight out of the box. The Minelab with it's multi-frequency capabilities will outshine the other one in wet salt beaches and heavily mineralized soil. I think once you get used to it that you'll absolutely love it!! Good luck!!

Thanks, im so excited. I cant wait to get it. I havent been able to detect in a while because of an injury and prior to the injury I thought I found an old homestead with my bounty hunter that I had. Im ready to go back and confirm it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Pescadore is absolutely right: They have a long learning curve!! Especially if you've gotten comfortable with your Bounty hunter, as you say. You might hate it, pull your hair out, and wish you'd gotten the easier machines like the garrett. So my advice to you, before you go to the homesite (which are potentially junky, and more like a "relic" site, rather than a "coin" site), I would take it to some-place easy, and force yourself to dig 100 clad coins first. You know, like an easy modern sandbox, or front yards of homes (friends, neighbors, etc...) that have never been hunted. Because since the SE is so tone-specific, and sounds like a flock of sick geese, it's not the type machine you're going to take out to some sites and expect to learn it right off. The type site one needs to learn the Explorers, is to start somewhere that isn't too junky, yet clad coins abound (side-by-side signals to slowly train your brain).

Another way is to go out with a proficient user. Ie.: someone who routinely comes in with the old coins (and not just a sand-box hunter). Have him flag some signals that he suspects have potential to be an old coin. Watch how he swings. Listen to what he's trying to isolate. Watch how he pinpoints. Watch listen to other signals he elects to pass up. Flag signals for him, and see what his analysis says (ie.: why he'd chase or pass it, etc...).

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pescadore is absolutely right: They have a long learning curve!! Especially if you've gotten comfortable with your Bounty hunter, as you say. You might hate it, pull your hair out, and wish you'd gotten the easier machines like the garrett. So my advice to you, before you go to the homesite (which are potentially junky, and more like a "relic" site, rather than a "coin" site), I would take it to some-place easy, and force yourself to dig 100 clad coins first. You know, like an easy modern sandbox, or front yards of homes (friends, neighbors, etc...) that have never been hunted. Because since the SE is so tone-specific, and sounds like a flock of sick geese, it's not the type machine you're going to take out to some sites and expect to learn it right off. The type site one needs to learn the Explorers, is to start somewhere that isn't too junky, yet clad coins abound (side-by-side signals to slowly train your brain).

Another way is to go out with a proficient user. Ie.: someone who routinely comes in with the old coins (and not just a sand-box hunter). Have him flag some signals that he suspects have potential to be an old coin. Watch how he swings. Listen to what he's trying to isolate. Watch how he pinpoints. Watch listen to other signals he elects to pass up. Flag signals for him, and see what his analysis says (ie.: why he'd chase or pass it, etc...).

Thanks, it should be here tomorrow and I am really anxious to take it out. I really have no idea what to expect, but if it takes time to learn it i'm definitely going to give it time. Bart says that this is a way better machine than the AT PRO and I really wanted something I could be happy with in the long run. I guess if your passionate about hunting then you're not going to stop anytime soon. Why not get the machine that you can grow with and learn. From what i've been hearing its going to be practice makes perfect I guess lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread