How long did it take?

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I am hoping to find out from some fellow explorer se pro swingers how long it took to learn your machine? I just took it out for the first time this weekend and I love it, but like everyone said it has a lot to learn lol. I found some really great stuff when I went out, but I was kind of just digging anything with a solid signal. I found out real quick that the slower you go the better but the signals are real confusing sometimes. I would have a signal in the hole one minute, dig it and then no signal or it has become discriminated for some reason. What causes the signals to change so much while digging? Im sure its depth I guess, but how do you learn if the signals change? Im just looking for some good advice from someone who has been there. By the way, the few areas I dug were loaded with stuff all around. I'm guessing that affects it too. Anything appreciated

Upvote 0

rbecker1967

Feb 9, 2013
Branson West,Mo.
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer SE
Hey guys, I am hoping to find out from some fellow explorer se pro swingers how long it took to learn your machine? I just took it out for the first time this weekend and I love it, but like everyone said it has a lot to learn lol. I found some really great stuff when I went out, but I was kind of just digging anything with a solid signal. I found out real quick that the slower you go the better but the signals are real confusing sometimes. I would have a signal in the hole one minute, dig it and then no signal or it has become discriminated for some reason. What causes the signals to change so much while digging? Im sure its depth I guess, but how do you learn if the signals change? Im just looking for some good advice from someone who has been there. By the way, the few areas I dug were loaded with stuff all around. I'm guessing that affects it too. Anything appreciated

mreese
I got my minelab a couple of weeks ago and I've had the same problem. I'd get a hit start digging then id swing it again then nothing...
I'm was hope n someone would help us out.
rbecker

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mreese
I got my minelab a couple of weeks ago and I've had the same problem. I'd get a hit start digging then id swing it again then nothing...
I'm was hope n someone would help us out.
rbecker
Yeah I noticed it on some of the more inconsistent hits and thats why I would dig the constant ones. Its just so super sensitive lol I also wasn't using it in the factory settings like I probably should have. The manual says to hold the power button when turning it on to put it in factory or press it for custom I guess. I really want to get the book for it but I was hoping someone with a lot of experience could give some good advice. Maybe someone could tell us what were doing wrong lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The answer to your question of how long it takes to get used to the wacky fluty explorer sounds, will depend on what machine(s) you used, before moving on/up to the Explorers. If you are new to md'ing (and thus not biased to accustomed to certain patterns, sounds, swings, etc...) then I suppose the learning process would be quicker. But if you're used to machines that had a fast swing (xlt, spectrum, 6000, and any other such machines), then perhaps you'd hate it for a long time. Also if you're coming from a machine that had a monotone (or *nearly* monotone, with only 6 or 7 tone-quadrants), then you might also have a longer learning curve.

Before I switched over to the explorer (from Whites Eagle SLII), I was hunting a park with an explorer fellow, who was effortlessly pulling silver and wheaties from beyond what ....... I had to be honest .... my Whites could get. I tried all different settings, re-balancing right next to flagged signals, etc.... Eventually I had to realize that this new beast (the first I had seen of it in any CA turf) was truly going deeper, and with better ID. So I ran out and got one. IMMEDIATELY I hated it, and couldn't figure it out. Everything sounded the same: Like a flock of sick geese. So I made an appointment to meet up with this other hunter again, at this same park. He flagged a few signals that he was saying were going to likely be deep wheaties or silver. Each time, I'd listen in to what he was hearing, watch the way he swung, listen to what he was trying to isolate, etc.... Conversely, if I flagged something, he'd check it, and give me an analysis. Eg.: "nah, corroded zinc at 4" or "nah pulltab" or "nah, nail false", etc... WITHIN 15 minutes the "lights went on" and it made perfect sense.

So the best way to get used to the explorer is to hook up with a proficient user, and see what he's listening for. Either that, or force yourself to dig 1000 signals :) Make sure it's a place where there will be some deep oldies (ie.: NOT a hard-hammered park that not even the pro's can get stuff out of anymore). Because if you go to only sad sorry places with no classic 4-star deepies, then your mind will never get the chance to have side-by-side signals to compare to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to your question of how long it takes to get used to the wacky fluty explorer sounds, will depend on what machine(s) you used, before moving on/up to the Explorers. If you are new to md'ing (and thus not biased to accustomed to certain patterns, sounds, swings, etc...) then I suppose the learning process would be quicker. But if you're used to machines that had a fast swing (xlt, spectrum, 6000, and any other such machines), then perhaps you'd hate it for a long time. Also if you're coming from a machine that had a monotone (or *nearly* monotone, with only 6 or 7 tone-quadrants), then you might also have a longer learning curve.

Before I switched over to the explorer (from Whites Eagle SLII), I was hunting a park with an explorer fellow, who was effortlessly pulling silver and wheaties from beyond what ....... I had to be honest .... my Whites could get. I tried all different settings, re-balancing right next to flagged signals, etc.... Eventually I had to realize that this new beast (the first I had seen of it in any CA turf) was truly going deeper, and with better ID. So I ran out and got one. IMMEDIATELY I hated it, and couldn't figure it out. Everything sounded the same: Like a flock of sick geese. So I made an appointment to meet up with this other hunter again, at this same park. He flagged a few signals that he was saying were going to likely be deep wheaties or silver. Each time, I'd listen in to what he was hearing, watch the way he swung, listen to what he was trying to isolate, etc.... Conversely, if I flagged something, he'd check it, and give me an analysis. Eg.: "nah, corroded zinc at 4" or "nah pulltab" or "nah, nail false", etc... WITHIN 15 minutes the "lights went on" and it made perfect sense.

So the best way to get used to the explorer is to hook up with a proficient user, and see what he's listening for. Either that, or force yourself to dig 1000 signals :) Make sure it's a place where there will be some deep oldies (ie.: NOT a hard-hammered park that not even the pro's can get stuff out of anymore). Because if you go to only sad sorry places with no classic 4-star deepies, then your mind will never get the chance to have side-by-side signals to compare to.

Thanks for the info lol I wish I did know someone around here that I could shadow for a day or two. In your experience does the pitch change for you when you dig or is it pretty accurate along the whole process? Have you ever had those signals I mention that would seem to disappear and not be in the soil you removed and if so what explanation is there?

Skwerly

Jan 24, 2013
Yucaipa, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, it's easy enough to dig where the thing goes beep or bop, but to really learn what the sounds mean took me a few weeks. heck, even now i still dig just about ANY strong signal, no matter where the vdi says it is on the scale; too many rings are passed up because someone thinks it's foil or another annoying tab. :)

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, it's easy enough to dig where the thing goes beep or bop, but to really learn what the sounds mean took me a few weeks. heck, even now i still dig just about ANY strong signal, no matter where the vdi says it is on the scale; too many rings are passed up because someone thinks it's foil or another annoying tab. :)

Yeah thats true. This one has a lot of beeps that you pass over and then when you sweep the coil back to it they disappear. Really sensitive lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks for the info lol I wish I did know someone around here that I could shadow for a day or two. In your experience does the pitch change for you when you dig or is it pretty accurate along the whole process? Have you ever had those signals I mention that would seem to disappear and not be in the soil you removed and if so what explanation is there?

Mreese, your question is impossible to answer in printed text, by anyone. It simply can't be done. Because things like "sounds" can't be described in "print". It would be like if I asked you to please describe for me the sound of C major in printed text. You can't do it. It has to be heard. No amount of reading about a musical note can describe audio "sounds".

I can't tell you the # of people who I've taken out (beginners who wanted me to help them learn their machine), that we'll hash out ahead of time (over emails or whatever) some sort of "false signals" or "disappearing signals" or whatever. Finally, we go out, and trade off some flagged signals. And only THEN does whatever their question is, become apparent to each of us. And only THEN does their questions get answered. I wish there was some way to answer in printed text, but it can't be done.

A possible alternative is to watch a bunch of youtube videos (that center on audio for their specific purpose). But even then, they're probably just showing viewers a potentially good signal. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it doesn't show viewers signals that the video-maker would pass as "bad". I found that invaluable when learning the explorer. Because ......... sure ....... anyone can "hear" a signal when the exact spot is pointed out to them. The PROBLEM is knowing the difference between THAT, and the myriad of other potential signals all around it. Perhaps someone has made a video showing both "good" as well as "bad" signals? I dunno. Also keep in mind, that at some sites (relicky sites, beach, etc...) there may be signals that you would indeed chase (in the "dig all" mentality). While the SAME exact signal, at a trashy urban inner city park (where a little pickiness is usually in order) might be a signal to "pass".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for your disappearing targets........you'll find that with many machines. What I find is that on deeper targets, once you get the plug out of the ground or you've disturbed the soil enough, the halo around the coin is gone which will effect the new signal or lack thereof. If you dig down another inch or two, you'll usually find it. This is where a pin pointer can really shine. Without a halo, it's like doing an air test. Some machines don't work as well without the soil.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a coin stick to the back of my digger 3 different times now. I thought I was nuts the first time when the signal disappeared. I have also flipped a coin a foot from the hole and didn't find it until I started sweeping again after I filled the hole. After the second one stuck to the back of the digger I had it figured out. Lol

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Regardless of machine learn and understand the "halo" effect as it works on good and bad metal. HH Boris

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I had no clue about the halo effect lol Im still somewhat new to metal detecting. I can see that explaining it a little bit, because the disappearing signal was my main problem. That actually happened to me an hour or so ago again. I got a good signal started digging and still had a good signal, then started digging more and it completely disappeared and found it nowhere around the hole lol. I was just baffled. I really wish I knew someone around my area to learn from, but I do appreciate all of the input from you guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions