Just Pre-Ordered the Garmin Oregon 650!!

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty stoked! Looks to be a pretty decent upgrade from my current Etrex and they addressed the issues of the screen and being able to view it in all sorts of light that the current Oregon series has. I ended up going with the one with the Camera, but not the pre-installed Topo Maps version. Figured in the end it wasn't worth it. :headbang:

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty stoked! Looks to be a pretty decent upgrade from my current Etrex and they addressed the issues of the screen and being able to view it in all sorts of light that the current Oregon series has. I ended up going with the one with the Camera, but not the pre-installed Topo Maps version. Figured in the end it wasn't worth it. :headbang:
Well that is great for you by the sound of it ....... But i have no idea what you are talking about.............

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha Garmin is releasing an upgraded Oregon Series GPS unit on April 1st; which is a touch screen unit with faster processor and etc etc. I have an OLD OLD Etrex, like one of the first ones to ever come out. When I'm out metal detecting I bring the GPS to mark the spot of a find and then take a picture of the GPS unit with the find. That way I can plug it into my Google Earth to help pinpoint where I'm finding what type of relics. Or areas of high concentrations of coins or whatever it is so I can go back to certain spots and hit them again in the Spring thaw.
The Garmin Oregon 650 comes with preloaded Topo maps or Camera or neither which is just the base model. And I ended up splurging and buyin the one with the camera because it plugs in your GPS data to every picture. So all i have to do is open the picture in whichever program and the GPS coordinates are already set! And the thing is waterproof so there goes the need to carry a waterproof camera and a GPS unit.
Bueller... Bueller... Bueller? :icon_thumright:

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you received it yet? They're all backordered.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No i actually cancelled my order through Amazon & will re order when they are released.
Amazon said they expect the 1st shipment in early June & my local REI store said late May.
I emailed Garmin & they are waiting on FCC final approval.
Oh well, i thought it would be out early April.

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I thought the same. They keep postponing the release. From my understanding the FCC already approved. Not sure what the hold up is. It almost makes me wonder they did this so more consumers would be forced to buy the Montana.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using the Garmin Montana 600 and love it more than any other Garmin GPS I have ever owned. Not sure if your gps will accept the SD chip cards but probably does as most new GPS units do. I use a map chip in my Montana that has all private, Forest Service, BLM land color coded so there is no mistakes if you are detecting on public or private land. It also has topo. The chip is from Huntinggpsmaps.com and is available for most US states. I used this chip for hunting, geocaching, riding the ATV but have found it is also great for metal detecting. Good luck

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using the Garmin Montana 600 and love it more than any other Garmin GPS I have ever owned. Not sure if your gps will accept the SD chip cards but probably does as most new GPS units do. I use a map chip in my Montana that has all private, Forest Service, BLM land color coded so there is no mistakes if you are detecting on public or private land. It also has topo. The chip is from Huntinggpsmaps.com and is available for most US states. I used this chip for hunting, geocaching, riding the ATV but have found it is also great for metal detecting. Good luck

Good to know. thanks for the heads up.
I wanted to go with the New oregon because of the updated electronics and touch screen. It just seemed like a rugged machine. I know a lot of the Montana guys love their units though.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to know. thanks for the heads up.
I wanted to go with the New oregon because of the updated electronics and touch screen. It just seemed like a rugged machine. I know a lot of the Montana guys love their units though.

I know you will be happy with the new Oregon and will be a huge upgrade from your old Etrex. The Montana is a little large but my old eyes I need the larger screen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread