Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello every one,

I will try to keep this short. ;o) I have never metal detected in my life but always wanted to, so my wife and I ordered 2 at gold’s and hopping the FedEX man would deliver today.

So here is the deal. About ten years ago I bought this old Farmstead, no one had lived here for more than 25 years before I bought it. the place has 13 structures including a house, barn, tractor shed, horse barn, pig shed ect. Completely over run with tall grass and newer trees and 27 pieces of old machinery, most half buried from years of mother nature, horse collars were still hanging on the wall. The house was ransacked over the years by kids no doubt but all of the belonging were still there, the old folks had died and their kids didn't want anything I guess.

Anywho, shortly after purchase my son and I started to clean the place up, every day was a treasure hunt finding all kinds of relics. One day as we were working a car pulled in the yard and 2 older gentleman approached us with metal detectors, come to find out they were the son's of the previous owners, grew up on the property and asked if they could meta detect in hopes of finding their fathers stashes of silver and said they would split any finds 50/50. As intriguing as this proposition was; I denied their request. through some research we found that more than 25 years of silver saving had been buried somewhere on this property. ( sound intriguing?)

We have cleaned this place up quite a bite in the 10 years since that day and now that my wife and I are getting up in age a little we thought detecting would be a great hobby starting with our own back yard. I have always heard that the old timers that did not trust the banks would hide their stashes by some old tree or fence post ect. There is still a foot of snow on the ground here but soon the birds will be laying eggs so we have been watching all the vids and doing as much research as possible which lead me to this site.

We know there will be a massive amount of iron buried here and I can only imagine if there are stashes of silver here what they may be contained in, old jars, tin boxes, cloth or leather wrappings, ?
I have no Idea where to start looking, all of the old fence lines were most likely ripped down by the farmer who continued to cultivate the land after the abandonment, older trees may have died and are now gone.
No photos are available of that time period but we took several hundred in the first few weeks of purchase and clean up. I can post these if it would help.

I am asking for any insight on how to approach this or where to start, even some of the best settings for the detector to minimize targets, This should be quite a venture and will post pics of our finds.
Really excited about this, not for the monetary value but just discovery.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help you may offer. Happy hunting everyone!! Cheers - Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
JDW nice place what a steal, when you said,"you dig 2 feet deep on this land and you will hit water"
i would think if buried,it would be higher ground,that the water runs off,and if you get water at that
depth, could be not buried at all,so when you get tired of digging the iron,take a day or 2 to check
the old places like the one you posted, then go back to digging HH
sorry your pic wont load
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=756043&d=1362941143

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this post,love it!!
Good Luck with your search!!!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
good hunt at the schoolhouse!! incredible finds. good luck with your cache hunting...so exciting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread