Hate to admit this

aWaredetector

Feb 25, 2013
massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In an effort to get my ten year old son outside and away from the mind numbing video games, my wife and I bought him a cheap metal detector. Knowing he'd want to go out as soon as he opened it, I went to our front yard and buried some clad. I gave him my digger, he put on his biking knee pads and we headed out.

The look on his face when he heard his tone was priceless. Kneeling down for his first dig, taking out that first plug, and finding that first coin was a moment he will not forget. He immediately ran to me with a quarter in one hand and the other outstretched for a high five.

He's hooked. Can't wait to get home from school to go mding with Daddy ! As a Dad I know any time spent with our kids is priceless. They grow up so fast .

Look out folks, I think I've created a mding monster .

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! Welcome to the addiction. :occasion14:

OP
OP
aWaredetector

aWaredetector

Feb 25, 2013
massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just a Discovery store cheapy. Now that I have hooked though we have to upgrade.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Dad. There is a lot besides recovery to be discovered,when he starts digging into history and people skills.
Quite a hobby,wishing you two many happy hours together with it.

Six2woody

Greenie
May 12, 2012
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites..... MXT PRO V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go..... GOOD for both of ya'

Metalbender92

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats good stuff! My six year old already wants to "go dig" with dad. Now trying to get my 15yr old away from the video games might be near impossible. We will se what happens with him. My 10yr old is slightly interested and shouldnt be a problem to sway.

metalbender

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my 7 yr old and I each a detector and its as big as he is. He swings it though and seems to find more than me. Of course I do have to stop to dig some of his plugs. He too is having a blast. One of his first outings he and I dug 15 clad coins in an hour. He's addicted too at the treasure below. Love my time with him and the memories created!

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Unfortunately, no matter what I bury for them to find I can't get my kids to really like detecting. Perhaps they will grow into it. Enjoy it while it lasts since it could be short lived. Most kids (like most adults) lose interest in a couple of weeks when they see how much trash they are digging compared to the number of good finds. And you can't go on seeding their hunts forever. They really have to like the history and thrill of it all to stick with it. Hopefully, he will be one of those people who becomes addicted and wants to do this as a hobby for life.

Funny story, it was my daughter who indirectly got me interested in metal detecting. I was always interested in treasure, pirates, and other such stuff. But it wasn't until my daughter got one of those cheap discovery store detectors from her aunt for Christmas that things took off. We took it outside in the Spring and she swung it around for a few mintues before getting bored. I decided to give it a try myself and was still swinging the thing a couple of hours later. I quickly upgraded and the rest is history. She hasn't seriously swung a metal detector since. Little did her aunt know that she was actually buying ME a Christmas present that year.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an old Garrett as a kid in the 80s and then last year my son said he wanted one. I couldn't let him do it alone so I bought an ACE350 also. Now it's something we can do for years to come hopefully.

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story. Your a good Dad. Your son will never forget it and hopefully, one day, teach your grandson the love you have taught him. Thanks for sharing.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, thanks for posting! My experience is kinda reversed. My dad took me and my sister out MD'ing when we were younger. He never was an avid MD'er but it was still fun. 2 years ago, i remembered going and bought my first MD and recently bought my second so I can take Dad, now 70, with me. He's waiting for better weather now, but excited all over again

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's very cool "Jay in NewKen". I hope you guys have a great time. For me it's like fishing in that I may not catch (unearth) anything but at least I'm outdoors moving around. Have fun.

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff guys. My 9 year old daughter wants one for her birthday. It came in today. Plan on "planting" a couple of things for her to get into this weekend.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plant a trinket or coin every once in a while to keep my son in it. It helps at his age when he thinks there is always something to dig.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aWaredetector said:
In an effort to get my ten year old son outside and away from the mind numbing video games, my wife and I bought him a cheap metal detector. Knowing he'd want to go out as soon as he opened it, I went to our front yard and buried some clad. I gave him my digger, he put on his biking knee pads and we headed out.

The look on his face when he heard his tone was priceless. Kneeling down for his first dig, taking out that first plug, and finding that first coin was a moment he will not forget. He immediately ran to me with a quarter in one hand and the other outstretched for a high five.

He's hooked. Can't wait to get home from school to go mding with Daddy ! As a Dad I know any time spent with our kids is priceless. They grow up so fast .

Look out folks, I think I've created a mding monster .

Ugh....feel free to take my kids along too...their hellions & beat the crap out of each other!! I've been thinking about modifying 1 of my detectors into a spanking tool...desperate here lmao

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought my son a F2 for Christmas. Upon receiving it he gave me a massive hug! Now that spring is here we will be out detecting soon.

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Uncle Wa-Au-Nut is getting his soon from whoever sold it here in the forums. i cant wait to head up to snohomish county and or he come here and we find some old sbuilding sites.

Maybe he can pick his brain at some ancient (not really - that would be calling him an old fart) school house sites that are woods now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions