First Timer

Sompa

Greenie
Jan 12, 2005
Ok....here it goes,
I've been reading this forum for about a week.....and I'm thinking...what a fantastic hobby. I have never tried this sort of thing before, nor have I known anyone who has. Well, last weekend I found a place near me that rents metal detectors (Fisher 1280-x aquanaut? )? and I decided that my 9 yr old son and I (along with my brother in law) would try something new . So we go out, rent the detector, and off we go to "coin beach" in Southern Delaware (about 25 min away from where I live). WE HAD A GREAT TIME! This, in spite of the fact that the temp was about 35 deg. , windchill probably around 20 deg. It was cold but we still had a good time goofin around. I have read online that THOUSANDS of coins, both gold and silver have washed up on this beach over the years. .....so what better place to start.

So anyway....we found one coin. ( along with several nails and whatnot) see pic. Obviously this coin is not from one of the famous shipwrecks of the area, but I though it was really cool. How in the world does a 1947 Mexican peso show up 8 inches under a Delaware beach??? But that is part of the fascination, isn't it? The imagination runs wild!

So now I?m hooked. This week I went out to Radio Shack and bought a BH Discovery 1100. I know this is about as ?low end? as you can get as far as MD?s go?.but that?s all I could afford right now. I?ve read many times on this forum already that it?s better to get out with a cheap machine?.than to not get out at all. It?s been too cold to go out since I got it?.but I can?t wait!

I?m looking forward to learning from all of you.
(I just can't figure out how to post a pic!!)

unpeso.jpg

Upvote 0

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Sompa, Don't worry about your detector my BH dose just fine for parks and schools!

I think that coin is silver! That's incredible for you first find!

Set your detector up like this and tell me how it works for you okay.

Place the detector on tone mode
sensitivity at one O'Clock
discrimination at zero

Go in your back yard? and see what you can find.

Let us all know.

HH

Onion

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In re: to posting images....? when posting, you should see a button near the bottom of the post page "Attach", click that and select an image from your hard drive.

Of course, you can just link to your image on another server..... I edited your post so your image appears inline, click on "Modify" and see what I did.

Welcome to the forum!

:)

OP
OP
S

Sompa

Greenie
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks Mark for your help on the pic....got it now.

Also, thanks Onion for the input....my detector just has a touch pad...no dials....but I think I know what you mean.

Does anyone know how my detector would do on the beach. With the ground so frozen now I'd like to try the beach with my new detector (hopefully it will do as well as the one I rented)

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
The BH your using won't have great depth, but it should be able to get down a couple inches.

You could place it in all metal mode to get more depth but you will dig everything and you will soon get tiered of that.

Salt water will have an effect on your detector and you might not be able to use it there with good results.

Onion

OP
OP
S

Sompa

Greenie
Jan 12, 2005
Hey rtde3,

Discover Sea is where I rented my detector from. The museum was closed for the season, but I'm sure to check it out when it opens.

I would also like to hunt the O.C. beaches for rings and such when the crowds come back, but Onion doesn't think my detector will do very well on the beach. Maybe I'll upgrade by then.

Any other tips on hunting in this area? There is so much old history around here. I'm trying to do as much research as I can now so I'm good to go when it warms up!

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I think that Bh will get as good as depth as anyother BH, They come with the same coil, Priced $100 to $700. Check the ads out. it's the same coil. Do they have a DD? There is the sniper coil, and a larger one I believe. Not knocking the BH, got my find of a life time with one.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the world of metal detecting!
Your excitement reminds me of how I felt more than 30 years ago when I got my first $29.95 Jetco detector. My first find was in my parents back yard. It was a 1946 silver Roosevelt dime. You would have thought that I found the Holy Grail. Now, some 30 years later, I don't get quite as excited about finding a Roosevelt dime, but the anticipation of the hunt still keeps me excited.
Good luck! You discovered the best hobby in the world.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
My condolences to your wife. You have now been "HOOKED" into a wonderful past time that you & your son can share for years to come. I think that you made a great first find. I've been playing at this for two years & it just gets deeper into your blood everytime you get out. My dad actually got me interested in MDing back in the early 60's & he built his first several detectors himself. Wish I had of absorbed all of his talents. Keep it up & best of luck. Wish I had a neat site to hunt like your coin beach. Spotz

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Hey Sompa, welcome to the world of MDing! Great find the 1st time out! Keep it up and next thing U know, we'll be asking U for advise. It's a great hobby and sure beats sitting in recliner watching reruns of I Love Lucy. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread