Skunks giving our hobby a bad name !

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
On friday I got permission to hunt three old abandoned houses that a local guy owns. I've been waiting for several yrs to hunt these nearby homes. I always wait for the right time and right place... and I got my chance.

One of the houses is log and built around 1800. The other two are a 1/2 mile away and set on adjoining acreage. They are mid to late 1800's and made of plank.

Friday evening I decided to hunt the older place for an hour or so. I dug an ih and a few wheaties and some junk while I got acclamated to the property. On saturday I hunted the other two houses quicky. This morning I got up expecting rain. It had not arrived yet, so off I went to the older place. I no sooner than got started when I noticed a few plugs laying on the ground. I thought 'what' ? Those are my holes.....NO WAY! !
Im pretty anal about fixing my holes. In fact if you don't tell them, I'll admit to fixing up some of my friends holes. But anyhow, it was them danm skunks. And its not the first time I've seen it. More than a few times I have seen where skunks have dug out my plugs. There gonna give me a bad name!!!!

Also.....I was talking to a friend one day who mows at the sportmens club, where I have detected. He said he saw where I had been hunting and wondered what I found. I said I hadn't been there for months. He said this was freshly done. So I jumped in the truck to go fix somebody elses holes. Got there to find that it was skunks digging for grubs. Hundreds of holes....but not mine. I was getting the blame!!

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank i would set there and wait on the skunks then shoot them

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've known other kinds of critters to do the same thing. Most small animals that live as scavengers will rout around in loose dirt in case some other critter buried some food down there, even if there is no smell. Any small patch of disturbed ground is enough to invite them to dig. I would have to imagine that this happens much more frequently in rural areas. Try to kill them if you want, but there are way more of them than you.

H

Holly_squirrel

Lmao. My dog does this to me. When I dig he digs and his homes are not tidy.. Lol. So if it's somewhere noticeable , I have to limit my digs . Plus when I'm not looking he digs everything back up... Uuhhggggggg. And my yard looks like hell, cause he digs up everyone on his own time .

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they taste like cat lol
I heard them skunks taste like Chicken,lol
I would get some peanut butter or skunk-crack "Burnt Marshmellow and make a trail away from your hunt site. Then ya fix up a cage trap and long rope, pull them away till they spray, then throw some burlap sack over the wire cage and move them a few miles away and dump them off. I know it sounds like work but ya don't want a bad name killing animals. Then ya have a better control dig site bro. Thought I would offer some advice, Good luck Friend & Get keep some tomato sauce ready.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lmao. My dog does this to me. When I dig he digs and his homes are not tidy.. Lol. So if it's somewhere noticeable , I have to limit my digs . Plus when I'm not looking he digs everything back up... Uuhhggggggg. And my yard looks like hell, cause he digs up everyone on his own time .
Sounds like you got a Lab or Hound that loves to dig.
Talking about the skunk problem on this post, I dont think you probably never have a skunk problem being a sweet gal like you. Your dog probably takes care of the skunks and the 2 legged kind too.
Good to have a dog, they'll probably will take the spray for you so you don't get it.
Sometimes it's better to get you and your pet and back away besides the stink I hear the spray burns if in the eyes.
Good luck keeping those holes tidy.

H

Holly_squirrel

goldentruth said:
Sounds like you got a Lab or Hound that loves to dig.
Talking about the skunk problem on this post, I dont think you probably never have a skunk problem being a sweet gal like you. Your dog probably takes care of the skunks and the 2 legged kind too.
Good to have a dog, they'll probably will take the spray for you so you don't get it.
Sometimes it's better to get you and your pet and back away besides the stink I hear the spray burns if in the eyes.
Good luck keeping those holes tidy.

Regretting saying ' tidy holes'

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I noticed the same thing has been happening to me as well. I went back to a place to hit it again and noticed that the plugs had been pulled out of the ground from the week before. I figured it was them Damn dillers. Could've been skunks though

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they make a varmint repellent that will keep that from happening? I know they make some for dogs and cats to keep them from areas you don't want them in. If the same stuff will work on skunks, squirrels, etc, you might want to carry some and squirt the plug when you leave.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have poured gasoline on ground bees (we call them yellow jackets here in PA) to kill them and come back the next day and found the hive dug out of the ground. The hole at the surface was always really small like 2 inches but would open up alot bigger underground. I assumed it was skunks, but I don't understnad why they like to eat gasoline soaked bee hives. I guess I shouldn't knock it untial I try it. :laughing7:

-Roy

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
I have poured gasoline on ground bees (we call them yellow jackets here in PA) to kill them and come back the next day and found the hive dug out of the ground. The hole at the surface was always really small like 2 inches but would open up alot bigger underground. I assumed it was skunks, but I don't understnad why they like to eat gasoline soaked bee hives. I guess I shouldn't knock it untial I try it. :laughing7:

-Roy

What part of PA are you from?!!? P.S. it's yellow jackets not "ground bees" lol

ranger11

Mar 3, 2013
Fresno,Ca.
Detector(s) used
Gold Mountain, White, Bounty Hunter,(Prospector) and others,including the first one from Radio Shack around 1958
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a few days old, but I'd like two put my 2 scents in if you please. To keep them away from "your" area, take some gun powder of any kind, be it from a bullet or just black powder, and sprinkle a little around each dig before you leave. They will lose their sence of smell for a couple of days however. At least that was what I was told from a Pomo Indian that I knew a few years ago.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggitup: Yeah i was just trying to come up with a generic name for yellow jackets as I don't know if everybody uses that name.

I am about 15 miles south of Pittsburgh, PA.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

-Roy
That would be pretty hard on the grass! Seems to me that you want to help the grass recover, not kill it!

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The yellow jackets rarely dig their nests in high traffic (front yard) Type areas,so it was mostly in places whee it didn't matter if I killed the grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread