newbie looking for some advie

Ironbangsi

Apr 1, 2013
Souther New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was given a bounty hunter pioneer ex for Christmas. Santa knew just what I ahve talked about for a few years . The snow has finally melted in my yard so I figured I would give it a try and see how it went. Surprisingly I found some stuff, a matchbox car , a toy dirt bike and an arcade token. Most likely lost by son several years ago as he is now 15. They were at varying depths and was more than enough to give me detecting fever. I figured I would take the detector to a local somewhat secluded tot lot that uses a nice soft sandy base to see if I could find anything. I did get a few good beeps that indicated coins but no matter where i scooped or how deep i seemed to go there was nothing. I would re sweep the area and get no beep, or would get a good tone a foot over from where it was originally. i would try to pin point the new beep and get no tone at all. So I guess my question is... Is there some kind of lag between the sweep and the beep? The obvious answer is going to be that i moved the target but the last beep i had a good 6" round cirlce dug about a foot deep and thought this is kind of silly for a quarter so I figured I would come here and post to see if the detector is off a bit and needs some kind of tune up

Thanks

LA, So NH

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: New Hampshire for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Another source for help specific to your MD would be the Forum: Bounty Hunter...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ironbangsi said:
i was given a bounty hunter pioneer ex for Christmas. Santa knew just what I ahve talked about for a few years . The snow has finally melted in my yard so I figured I would give it a try and see how it went. Surprisingly I found some stuff, a matchbox car , a toy dirt bike and an arcade token. Most likely lost by son several years ago as he is now 15. They were at varying depths and was more than enough to give me detecting fever. I figured I would take the detector to a local somewhat secluded tot lot that uses a nice soft sandy base to see if I could find anything. I did get a few good beeps that indicated coins but no matter where i scooped or how deep i seemed to go there was nothing. I would re sweep the area and get no beep, or would get a good tone a foot over from where it was originally. i would try to pin point the new beep and get no tone at all. So I guess my question is... Is there some kind of lag between the sweep and the beep? The obvious answer is going to be that i moved the target but the last beep i had a good 6" round cirlce dug about a foot deep and thought this is kind of silly for a quarter so I figured I would come here and post to see if the detector is off a bit and needs some kind of tune up

Thanks

LA, So NH

Lay some coins out in the yard along with some trash and learn your detector in the open air. Once you can pinpoint accurately doing that you will be ready to start learning all the great tricks the soil will throw at you. Dig everything at first and learn what your detector is telling you. You will be a pro on no time if you take the time and listen to what it's telling you. Good luck!

OP
OP
I

Ironbangsi

Apr 1, 2013
Souther New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah there is a local club , no tfar from me that has been around for years
thanks

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all way check your hole or pile of dirt in all metal so your discrimination isn't knocking it out and make sure you turn 90 degrees your good target mite disappear telling you to move on....

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
sometimes a iron target lets say 15" down if rusted can send you on a wild goose chase. I suggest lifting your detector around 4 -5 inches above the ground over the target if it still saying a quarter than most likely it's something big like a can or junk. gd lk &hh

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
I have found that a rusty object produced a high hit. I dug the target to get a iron rusted piece of metal. After I dug it out it would no longer produce a high hit it went back to a low iron hit. The object when rusted produces a false halo around the buried object tricking the detector in thinking it was a dime,quarter,50¢ and so on..Practice will be the best thing you can do to understand your machine. Do not always believe what the LCD screen is saying. It's giving you a educated guess not a anwser...

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
one more thing, do not get discouraged. I have probably 1000 coins in my md'ing collection. Not to mention all of the garbage I've dug up and thrown away. Only six are silver . Which I found in my own front yard. But I have fun doing it. You never know when that target will be that silver coin or a piece of jewelry. gd lk & hh

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130402_102826.png
    ForumRunner_20130402_102826.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 77

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread